Is email really that hard?

Cecilia Tanaka cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:04:42 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> I really made a mistake back then. This list should have never been resurrected
> in the current form.

Sorry, Eugen, the list didn't ressuct because it did never die, in
fact.  It changed a lot, and not to a better list, I admit, but never
died for complete.  It always was here.  :)

> Tolerance and patience will kill even the best list.

Yes, you're correct, but I do still believe that minimal intervention
or no intervention are the best politics to most of the discussion
lists.

Yep, I was and I still am a moderator in some dozens of lists, and I'm
doing it in the last decade  (a bit more, in two lists).  Being a
moderator is *not* fun and takes a lot of my free time, but I know how
it can be important to keep the things working well.  That's the
reason why, in the past, I accepted to help the moderation of some
technical lists, even not being the best choice for it.  The 'best
choices' were too busy to help their pairs or simply didn't want the
work, the responsibility and, of course, the complaints, kicks and bad
words.  :(

You're always very polite, Eugen, but this isn't usually the rule and,
sorry, I don't know you well enough to predict your possible reactions
when you're upset or angry.  That's the reason why I wanted to protect
Riad and Greg a little bit, avoiding rude messages for both, sorry.
They are *not* being lazy or negligent, they are just being
anarchists.  :)

> This is not the way to keep a list healthy and sane. Pretty soon there
> will be zero traffic passing your filters.

Maybe, but it just the future can show us.  For now, I still prefer to
keep my hopes in a better future and, maybe, in a better list.  :)

> It's allright, I haven't read anything worthwhile here in years.

Stay, if you think you can change the list and make it better, not for
the list itself, but for you, for other people.  You have a good
technical background and like to study.  You can share your knowledge
and will probably be contacted in public or private for others like
you.  There are lots of trolls, but there are good people here too,
Eugen.  A bit silent, I admit, but they are still here, I swear.

Go, if you think it will be better for you.  None of us can take this
decision in your place, only you know your necessities and your
limits.  In this case, wish you good luck and success.  Take care and
be happy.

In any case, you can choose read the messages in the list archive
only, picking the titles, without receiving all the messy messages.
If you need help, contact me in private.  I'm always late with my
personal messages  (the professional ones are updated, I swear!),  but
I will answer soon or later.  :)