What kind of security matters

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Feb 18 13:54:06 PST 2017

On 2/18/2017 1:46 PM, Marina Brown wrote:
> Are you daft ? Obama had more important things than to go through
> Hillary's emails. He already knew all about her and her failure as
> Secretary of state.

Illegally employing her own email server was an anti Obama security
measure, not an anti Wikileaks or anti Chan measure.  She would have
been more secure against Wikileaks, the Chans, and the Russians, had she
done the legal thing and used the official government (aka Obama)
controlled mail server.

Similarly, Google ratting out Petraeus to Obama has caused a sudden and
striking disinclination to use Gmail among persons of interest.

On 02/16/2017 07:47 PM, James A. Donald wrote:
>> Similarly, it is clear that if Trump had a chat with Assad of Syria
>> clearing a bombing run Isis in Syria, his target list would appear in
>> the New York Times, as he bitterly complained in his latest press
>> conference.

On 2/18/2017 1:46 PM, Marina Brown wrote:
> Again - are you Daft ? Assad is in a bitter fight with Isis - he would
> not leak that info.

Of course Assad would not - but the State Department is supporting Isis,
and would.  And someone in the government, probably the CIA or the State
Department did leak the equivalent info about the raid in Yemen to Al
Qaeda, resulting in many injuries and a death.

> ...Not that i support that horrid dictator. I did
> work on the Streisand effect for Assad's regime.

I totally support Assad.  He stands between the US State Department, and
the genocide of all Alawites, Christians, and all Shiites of Palestinian
descent in Syria.  The State Department aims to do to Alawites in Syria
what it did to Tutsis in the Congo, and a side effect that they do not
much care about or rather like is that Christians in Syria would get
genocided also.

> Nonsense. Trump did not get the right info - he did not know how well
> defended the site was.

Al Qaeda tells us that they knew what was coming.  So chances are that
the site *became* well defended shortly after the decision to attack it
was made.

There is a tendency to analyze security as if your home computer was
secure, which it is not. But the error of analyzing security as if your
organization was secure and cohesive is a greater error.  Trump is at
far greater risk of being spied on by the CIA and the State Department
than the Russians, and the consequences of that spying are more severe.
Similarly, Hillary was primarily concerned about Obama spying on her,
and was right to be concerned.  Petraeus should have been similarly
concerned.

So security really has to be in the hands of the end user, rather than
the organization.  Trump, Hillary, Podesta, Petraeus, and the Chairman
of the Board are never going to use PGP, or even correctly use browser
Certification Authorities.  Podesta and Hillary's information technology
guy did not seem to know what a website certificate is, or how it works.