modest proposal

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Wed Feb 15 07:55:14 PST 2017

On 02/15/2017 01:01 AM, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 11:20:50AM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
>> How about we change the name of this list, to better reflect its use?
>
> This will just make the list officially
> alt.alt.alt.cunty.scumbags.politics.and.vulgar.insults

:)

I don't mind the insults. The constant petty bickering does get to me, I
admit. But what really bugs me is the miasma of sarcastic political
bullshit. It reminds me of Encyclopedia Dramatica ;)

Back in the day, cypherpunks was about the power of crypto-guaranteed
privacy to protect freedom and limit government power. Not now :(

> My counter suggestion is self moderation: this might split the list
> making it easier to read.
> Make whitelist or blacklist and do not read or reply to anything below
> forbidden actor's posting. Close to this works for me.
>
> The expected result is looped trolls with occasional other posts and
> some "ontopic" stuff with minor(?) pollutions by trolls.

Sure, I'm doing that. But then I miss good stuff from people I like :(

> Limit of new news threads per day makes some sense too.
>
>  From 2016-08 to 2017-02 (the new version of the list) I have about
> 4.8K emails.
>  From 2014-04 to 2016-08 (the old version) I have about 12K emails.

I'm tempted to analyze thread topics, membership, posting patterns, etc
to see where and how the list went to shit. But then, who cares? :(