Book: Two Hundred Years Together - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

jim.sovereign at optusnet.com.au jim.sovereign at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 9 15:54:31 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 02:05:33PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Two Hundred Years Together; Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
> First English translation of censored chapters translated (no cost)
> https://twohundredyearstogether.wordpress.com/2017/01/25/chapter-2/

Amazing. How times change.

"The future Nicholas I, Grand Duke at that time, noted in his diary: “It
is astonishing that they [Jews] remained surprisingly faithful to us in
1812 and even helped us where they could, at the risk of their lives.”20"

"After 1814, the reunification of central Poland brought together more
than 400,000 Jews. The Jewish problem was then presented to the Russian
government with more acuteness and complexity. In 1816, the Government
Council of the Kingdom of Poland, which in many areas enjoyed a separate
state existence, ordered the Jews to be expelled from their
villages—they could also remain there, but only to work the land, and
this without the help of Christian workers. But at the request of the
Kahal of Warsaw, as soon as it was transmitted to the Emperor, Alexander
gave orders to leave the Jews in place by allowing them to engage in the
trade of vodka, on the sole condition that they should not sell it on
credit.22"