[#AboveMyPayGrade] Protecting quantum computing networks against hacking threats

Razer g2s at riseup.net
Mon Feb 6 09:10:02 PST 2017

On 02/06/2017 08:46 AM, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 06:35:21PM -0800, Razer wrote:
>>> More information: High-dimensional quantum cloning and applications to
>>> quantum hacking, Science Advances  03 Feb 2017, DOI:
>>> 10.1126/sciadv.1601915
>>>
>>> Provided by University of Ottawa
>> https://phys.org/news/2017-02-quantum-networks-hacking-threats.html
>>
> http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/2/e1601915
> |In addition, a cloning attack on a Bennett and Brassard (BB84)
> |quantum key distribution protocol is experimentally demonstrated
> |to reveal the robustness of high-dimensional states in quantum
> |cryptography.
>

> I can't parse the technical stuff. Does the last paragraph mean
> they broke "old quantum crypto"?
>

>From the abstract and the last paragraph of the article what I'm seeing
is they can detect a hack on the data (apparently even if it's simply a
regurgitation of the original) because the 'noise' created by the
tampering itself appears to leave a 'standard recognizable signature'.
But pardon if that's not the answer to the question you asked... as the
Sj: line implies this is way above my pay-grade.

Rr