Peter Thiel, Palantir, NSA... versus You!

Razer g2s at riseup.net
Wed Feb 22 11:18:17 PST 2017

On 02/22/2017 10:52 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> https://theintercept.com/2017/02/22/how-peter-thiels-palantir-helped-the-nsa-spy-on-the-whole-world/
>
> Top Secret Strap 1
>
> Donald Trump has inherited the most powerful machine for spying ever
> devised. How this petty, vengeful man might wield and expand the
> sprawling American spy apparatus, already vulnerable to abuse, is
> disturbing enough on its own. But the outlook is even worse
> considering Trump’s vast preference for private sector expertise and
> new strategic friendship with Silicon Valley billionaire investor
> Peter Thiel, whose controversial (and opaque) company Palantir has
> long sought to sell governments an unmatched power to sift and exploit
> information of any kind. Thiel represents a perfect nexus of
> government clout with the kind of corporate swagger Trump loves. The
> Intercept can now reveal that Palantir has worked for years to boost
> the global dragnet of the NSA and its international partners, and was
> in fact co-created with American spies.
>
> Peter Thiel became one of the American political mainstream’s most
> notorious figures in 2016 (when it emerged he was bankrolling a
> lawsuit against Gawker Media, my former employer) even before he won a
> direct line to the White House. Now he brings to his role as
> presidential adviser decades of experience as kingly investor and
> token nonliberal on Facebook’s board of directors, a Rolodex of
> software luminaries, and a decidedly Trumpian devotion to controversy
> and contrarianism. But perhaps the most appealing asset Thiel can
> offer our bewildered new president will be Palantir Technologies,
> which Thiel founded with Alex Karp and Joe Lonsdale in 2004.
>
> Palantir has never masked its ambitions, in particular the desire to
> sell its services to the U.S. government — the CIA itself was an early
> investor in the startup through In-Q-Tel, the agency’s venture capital
> branch. But Palantir refuses to discuss or even name its government
> clientele, despite landing “at least $1.2 billion” in federal
> contracts since 2009

Palantir was one of Barrett Brown/ProjectPM's main foci regarding
private company domestic surveillance for the US government. I have a
zipped archive of ProjectPM (HTML) before Brown's arrest and concurrent
takeover of PM's domain by Cloudflare.

If anyone want a copy. Let me know. It's in the MegaCloud.

Rr

Ps. I warned BB on IRC during #OpEgypt to be careful using the
'editorial "We"' when discussing Anonymous. If I ever catch up with him
a bitchslap's in order.