[coreboot] coreboot community meeting minutes for February 16, 2017

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 17 00:50:57 PST 2017

----- Forwarded message from Martin Roth <gaumless at gmail.com> -----

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:41:16 -0700
From: Martin Roth <gaumless at gmail.com>
To: coreboot <coreboot at coreboot.org>
Subject: [coreboot] coreboot community meeting minutes for February 16, 2017

Here are the meeting minutes of today's coreboot community meeting.
Info about the next meeting (March 2) is at the bottom.

General coreboot news
* coreboot is working on joining the Software Freedom Conservancy in a
fiscal sponsorship agreement.  Work on this is moving forward, and is
speeding up.  Several announcements about this should be posted soon.
  - Summary by Martin; there will be a blog post
  - goal is April, or early May at the very latest

Infrastructure Issues & News
* Updated coverity tools from 8.5.0.5 to 8.7.0
  - coreboot's coverity testing is run twice a week by Jenkins
  - Tested projects: flashrom, ChromeEC, vboot, Memtest86+
  - All other projects are tested daily or when commits happen
* Having problems with merging users in gerrit - We plan to email people
with multiple existing accounts and merge them, but due to gerrit upgrades,
there are currently issues that we need to figure out before we can make
progress on this.
* Discussions on the current Mailing list vs switching to a forum
* coreboot is evaluating the idea switching from the mailing list to a
forum package.  A poll on this will be posted shortly.
  - Switch to reddit?
  - Switch to google groups?
  - Look for a forum software package that integrates well with the mailing
list.
  - Skepticism was expressed about ditching the mailing list.
* Because jenkins builders build in tmpfs, memory was getting filled, and
builds were failing.  We've taken steps to mitigate this.
* IRC/Mattermost
  - Mattermost was set up to help make it easier for people who aren't
familiar with irc
  - To reduce spam on irc, only allow registered nicks to talk?
  - How big is the spam/abuse problem?
  - Deprecate IRC channel?
    - Not being planned right now, but in the future?
  - Mattermost's default channel doesn't have irc bridged. It sounds like
the latest version of mattermost can add multiple default channels, so we
can add the irc channel as a default.

Development
* Review of commits
  - Martin has been busy and hasn't been able to review things as much
  - The best way to get a quick review is to post in chat/irc asking for
reviews on specific patches.
  - How do we get more people to review patches?
* Discussion *Add coreboot storage driver*
https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/thread.html#83218
  - How will a decision on this be made?
    - If we're going to come to any conclusion, the decision will probably
need to be made by Stefan.

Interesting External news items
* Raptor engineering looking for support in porting openbmc for the ASUS
KGPE-D16 board -
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KGPE-D16-OpenBMC-Effort
and https://firmwaresecurity.com/tag/coreboot/

coreboot community meeting related
* Attendance has been spotty.  Is this worthwhile?
  - Yes - The community meeting is useful to people
  - Ten participants today \o/
* Very few people actually add agenda items.
* Is the time the issue?  Should we try switching time again?
* Announcing it on IRC (about one hour before it begins) helps
* We should announce it on the mailing list, the day before too
* Several people weren't aware that we had bi-weekly coreboot conference
meetings.

Next meeting is March 2, 2017
Check the coreboot calendar for the time in your timezone:
https://www.coreboot.org/calendar.html

Join using the bluejeans web app or the phone bridge:
    https://bluejeans.com/616384323

Phone bridge call in numbers:  https://www.bluejeans.com/numbers
    Meeting ID: 616384323

Current agenda & history: