What is consensus?

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri Dec 8 09:04:06 PST 2017

On 12/07/2017 08:12 PM, Douglas Lucas wrote:
> Hi Edward,
>
> Consensus is agreement by means of votes. It's a hierarchy where those
> who win the vote impose on those who lose the vote (although sometimes
> the dissenters just exit altogether).
>
> One no-voting method of collaboration is stigmergy:
> https://georgiebc.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/stigmergy-2/
>
> See also:
> https://georgiebc.wordpress.com/2017/02/23/a-societal-singularity/

If voting is involved, it's not consensus-based. There is checking for
consensus, as g2s noted. And there is blocking. So one person can block
consensus. However, there is social pressure to have persuasive
arguments supporting blocks. Blocking for personal reasons will make you
very unpopular. There's also the option to stand aside. It's somewhat
like abstaining from a vote, when you have a conflict of interest. But
you can also stand aside when you don't entirely agree, but don't want
to stand in the way of progress.