[RUS] [SWPL] humans - the enduring existential reality we all live among

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Dec 29 15:30:54 PST 2017

Over and over again, 'tis the human, that is us, we, our brethren and
sistren around the world, who shape our own world (of course).

(There are links not embedded in the copypasta below.)

This is a sobering and heart felt "reality" take, reminding us of
poignant "facts on the ground" so to speak.  A true story for those
with empathy.

http://www.unz.com/akarlin/translation-a-hell-of-their-own-making/
Translation: A Hell of Their Own Making
Anatoly Karlin • December 19, 2012

Believe it or not but some people call me a Russophobe. Even more
shockingly, perhaps, I plead guilty (at least in the sense that I do
not have a very high opinion of the Russian people). There are only
two logical alternatives: (1) Claims that Russia really is as good as
Western Europe and the US on issues like corruption, social cohesion,
etc., which is quite simply implausible to almost anyone who lived
there; (2) That the cronyism, bad roads, etc. are all the fault of
“corrupt bureaucrats” or even just “Putin”, as if to pretend that
they are not real Russians but an occupying force, which is simply
bizarre and only believed in by liberals.

The most plausible but rather banal explanation is that to the extent
that things are bad in Russia (although, ironically, as I’ve
frequently shown here they are nowhere near as bad as portrayed in
the Western media) they are bad because of Russians themselves, or
more precisely the crook-enabling and general impudent
go-fuck-yourself attitudes inherited from the Soviet era. There is no
way to quickly change this, least of all by decree, and Putin himself
implicitly recognizes this, although as President, he has to
sugarcoat things and explain them to the people in a fatherly way
(whereas as a blogger I am perhaps a bit blunt about these things).

Anyhow, the following account basically encapsulates the basic thing
that is wrong with Russia and, indirectly, the liberal interpretation
of the symptoms (that they are the Kremlin’s fault). And while A Hell
of their Own Making is set in Ukraine, any Russian would recognize
this in her own country; only Ukrainian nationalists would seriously
deny that social attitudes in Russia and Ukraine are rather similar.

***

A Hell of Their Own Making

I live abroad. Once upon a time, I came to visit my mother in Ukraine
with my husband. I got the kin together for a barbecue picnic. We
decided to go to a place not far from mother’s house – a beautiful
valley with a lake and a small forest. During my childhood I loved to
wander there among the sweet-smelling grass and wild flowers, and to
bathe in the lake.

We came there. The wild grass was now covered with tall weeds, many
places were burnt out or filled up with plastic rubbish. I was so
disappointed! We could barely find a more or less clean clearing by
the lake. We tidied up the trash and cigarette butts so that we could
sit, then we started a fire in the mangal grill. The barbecue was
delicious, but the sight of my beloved valley depressed me –
everything was so dirty, so pathetic… The lake was murky and
desiccated. I did not risk swimming in it.

>From the start I told my relatives not to throw the trash into the
grass and bushes, but to gather it up and put it into a special bag.
When we were leaving I checked that we had left nothing behind. For I
was very sad about this forest clearing. And I was loudly distraught
that people could so comprehensively foul up a place where they
themselves went to relax. Is it really so difficult to carry the
trash over to the bins that are one hundred meters away at the
valley’s end?

When we were preparing to leave, I found out that no-one had the
trash bag in their hands. I started asking who had it. And my mom
waved it way – we’ve already thrown it away. “How did you do it,
where?” I whispered. “There, into the reeds. What, are we garbage men
or something? Everyone dumps it there!” It was hard to refrain from
swearing out loud. It was impossible to retrieve the trash from there
– it had already lodged in the reeds by the cliff.

At that moment I recognized a great truth: They deserve the lives
they lead. They deserve their cracked asphalt, broken lampposts,
dirty streets, and reeking rivers, and their criminal government, and
their miserly wages and pensions. They spit on themselves, so why
shouldn’t the government spit on them? They do not respect themselves
– so who will respect them?

It is not the government which litters on the streets and trashes
children’s playgrounds. It is not the President who steals lampposts
and cables. I no longer trust your complaints. My countrymen, it is
you who created your own hell, and it’s you who will have to live in
it.

***

Harsh but it rings true. I wonder if any “Russophiles” will now call
the author a Russophobe (or perhaps Ukrainophobe) herself? The only
thing I have to add is that many Russians – especially liberals, and
those who love to complain – really do not realize how their own
actions and attitudes (or the lack of them; in a recent poll, only
50% of Russians said they’d report a drunk driver, compared to about
90% in the US and the UK) contribute to problems. It is always
someone else who is to blame, like Putin, or the US, or oligarchs, or
ethnic minorities. Oftentimes this hatred is expressed in shockingly
violent and callous terms to popular approval. They cannot see fault
in themselves, so ironically enough, it is the much loathed Russian
state itself which is left with the unenviable task of trying to
re-inculcate basic moral values and respect for the law into a
self-hating and crook-enabling society.

That is why I support it. The words of the liberal-conservative Vekhi
are as relevant now as they were back in 1909: “We ought to fear the
people and bless this government which, with its prisons and
bayonets, still protects us from the people’s fury.”
(Republished from Da Russophile by permission of author or
representative)