Exposing Banking's Global Financial Surveillance Networks

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 23:54:45 PST 2017

https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-9070-financial_surveillance

Banks have built a huge surveillance infrastructure sweeping up
millions of innocent people. Investigative journalists Jasmin Klofta
and Tom Wills explain how, as part of an international collaboration,
they exposed World-Check, the privately-run system.
A database used to make decisions affecting people and organisations
all over the world. They include a mosque that had its bank account
shut without explanation, activists blacklisted for a peaceful
protest, and ordinary citizens whose political activities were
secretly catalogued.
We discovered the human impact of this Kafkaesque system, which is
used by almost every major bank and many other institutions.
We will also ask whether we really want banks to be held responsible
for the crimes of their customers? Are Financial Intelligence Units
pre-crime agencies?