Fwd: [Cryptography] Two articles on what is and isn't money

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 17:21:45 PST 2017

A patron tries to pay with cash at the West 40th Street location of
Dos Toros Taqueria, only to learn that only credit or debit cards are
accepted. The Two Forks chain also does not take cash. Visa recently
offered select merchants a $10,000 reward to switch away from cash
transactions. “I was shocked,” said David, a 66-year-old accountant
who popped into Dig Inn for lunch a few hours before Ms. Bryant. (He
declined to give his surname because “I’m a private person.”) “This is
very unusual to me.” “My reaction was ‘Jesus, a New York City
restaurant that records all its revenue? How can they stay in
business?’ ”the credit card companies, who make a commission on every
credit card purchase, applaud the trend. Visa recently offered select
merchants a $10,000 reward for depriving customers of their right to
pay by the method of their choice.He was told he could not pay with
cash. He handed over his credit card. There was a problem with the
card reader, or maybe the Wi-Fi. In any case, the machine was down.
The cashier apologized and said the ice cream was on the house.