MUH COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOINS !

Lee Clagett forum at leeclagett.com
Sun Dec 24 06:51:18 PST 2017

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 09:40:58 -0500
Lee Clagett <forum at leeclagett.com> wrote:

> [...]
> the average person. That problem exists with _every_ blockchain. If a
> majority of the nodes are skipping signature checks due to the cost,
> you are still in the stealing-user-funds doomsday scenario. The only
> complications added by Segwit were: (1) how quickly do users upgrade
> nodes, and (2) would it encourage more people to skip signature
> checks since it would save on bandwidth (miners have been proven to
> do this previously due to the CPU latency savings). AFAIK, its
> impossible to enforce nodes to check signatures so (2) is only a
> problem if the majority of nodes are constrained on bandwidth but not
> CPU, and (1) was mitigated by releasing software nearly a year
> advance and watching the miners/nodes for self reporting their
> version numbers. And even then, people could simply never create a
> Segwit address if they were still concerned about the potential
> security (i.e. its use is completely optional, and sending or
> receiving money from a Segwit address in no way changes your
> security).
>
> This does bring up an interesting point, what happens if the blocksize
> is increased to the point where nodes become a little CPU bound? Do a
> sizeable portion of the nodes begin to skip signature checks? Has the
> security of the system decreased as a result of increasing the
> blocksize?
>

> > WHAT IS SEGWIT?
> >
> > Segregated Witness is a software upgrade that forces every-day users
> > such as you and I off of the main blockchain. It does this using a
> > fee-based "solution". Fees to broadcast to the main blockchain are
> > raised x1000, going from less than $1 to $1000 EOY 2018. Instead,
> > average users will go through Side-Chains - a patented software that
> > allows banks to control their own centralized blockchains, this
> > means that they choose the transactions that will and will not be
> > allowed to be broadcasted to the main blockchain, while you as an
> > individual must pay them a fee to even use the sidechains. This
> > means that banks have control over who can and cannot send money,
> > something that was previously not possible with Bitcoin.
>
> Segwit is not forcing people off of the main chain - the limited block
> space is forcing people off the main chain. Concerns of a sidechain
> patent are also dubious. There are many ways for people to exchange
> between crypto-currencies, including one decentralized p2p exchange
> "bisq". The adoption of Bitcoin Cash by Coinbase and other parties
> seems to indicate that Blockstream has no control over where the
> transactions occur. People do not have to use "the main chain" for
> settlement at all! This is the worst part of the Blockstream is
> ruining Bitcoin narrative, if they push that hard people are just
> going to fork to their own variant. I think it would even be possible
> to take control of the Bitcoin name away from "core" if they were
> deemed that untrustworthy (the Monero community did this with

I did forget that using a sidechain means you still technically own
"Bitcoin". So the situation is a bit different than exchanging to
another coin. Although the primary point still stands - Blockstream can
try to influence Bitcoin heavily if they want, but it will simply push
more people to fork the project out of their control entirely.