Noam Chomsky ***** ***** *** ******* ***** - [ PFKR ] SciAmerican: Google Engineer Fired for Sexist Memo Isn't a Hero

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon Aug 21 10:57:35 PDT 2017

On 08/21/2017 05:59 AM, Razer wrote:

> On 08/21/2017 08:12 AM, Mirimir wrote:

>>> Example: the only people who promulgate holocaust denial are those who
>>> have something to gain from denying it.
>> Data is neutral. And you can't have a meaningful discussion without it.
>> Re agendas, just about everyone has them. But the ones that we agree
>> with tend to be less obvious. To the extent that we agree, anyway.
>>
>> So about racism, for example. Some argue that various measurables are
>> distributed differently in various races. Now of course, "race" is a
>> nebulous term. More accurately, one would say population groups.
>>
>> Allegations about such differences have clearly been exploited horribly.
>> By slavers. By Nazis. By eugenicists in various cultures.
>>
>> However, recognition of increased incidence of serious recessive
>> mutations among the Ashkenazim has been very helpful medically.
>> Likewise, the increased incidence of hypertension among
>> African-Americans. Indeed, it may well turn out that medical practice in
>> general ought to be optimized by gender and genetics.
>>
>> Even solid data on differences in measurables that have been exploited
>> by racists could arguably play beneficial roles. For example, in the
>> design of educational curricula.
>>
>> Anyway, advocating for ignoring some classes of data is dishonest, and
>> ultimately counterproductive. In my opinion, as a scientist.
>
> I would like to think he's not claiming people should ignore data, but
> that in his opinion it isn't highly relevant to his field of work,

Sure, but that's not what he said. He said that such data is of no
scientific interest. Not just for his work.

> and speaking as an Ashkenaz, about Tay-Sacs... (wikipedia)
>
>>  ...It has been hypothesized that being a carrier may confer
>> protection from another condition such as tuberculosis...[5]
>
> Like GMO crops... The potential for REALLY FUCKING UP by, not misuse,
> but simply trying to 'repair' or 'improve' (some people consider
> herbicide resistance 'improved') a natural genetic 'defect' may outweigh
> the potential for any significant benefit.

Sure, repair attempts may make Tay-Sacs worse. And sure, there may be
benefits for heterozygotes. It's the same issue for sickle-cell disease.

But the main point is knowing about it, and having a test for it, so you
can detect affected fetuses, and offer counseling.

> and there's the scapegoat effect Chomsky alluded to:
>

>> Jewish immigration to the United States peaked in the period
>> 1880–1924, with the immigrants arriving from Russia and countries in
>> Eastern Europe; this was also a period of nativism (hostility to
>> immigrants) in the United States. Opponents of immigration often
>> questioned whether immigrants from southern and eastern Europe could
>> be assimilated into American society. Reports of Tay–Sachs disease
>> contributed to a perception among nativists that Jews were an inferior
>> race.[43]

Well, that's what the assholes always say. About Germans, Italians,
Mexicans, whatever. Gotta keep those foreign scum out. Except as slaves,
of course, or "guest workers".