Chilling Dissent: The Just-Us Dept Fights DreamHost for Trump Protest site disruptj20.org Info

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 10:39:13 PDT 2017

From: Razer <g2s at riseup.net>

Lawfare. Links on-site:

> The Justice Department is fighting for information on all of the
> visitors to the website disruptj20.org, as well as log files on when
> and from where the visitors logged onto the site, what they looked at,
> and emails related to the site. The site at the center of the storm
> bills itself as a platform connecting Trump protesters and
> "support[ing] the massive and spontaneous eruption of resistance
> across the United States that’s happened since the election."
>
> At the New York Times, Charlie Savage reports that federal
> investigators have issued a search warrant to the internet hosting
> company DreamHost, which is now challenging the warrant as
> unconstitutionally broad—complying with it would allegedly require
> handing over 1.3 million visitor IP addresses and the information,
> emails and photos of thousands of users. Also see the Washington Post
> story last night from Ellen Nakashima.
[...]> https://lawfareblog.com/justice-department-fights-web-hosting-company-trump-protester-information

When police or prosecutors are seeking a search warrant, the usual procedure is for them to prepare a document, which is called a "warrant affidavit", which is supposed to contain sufficient facts and argument to justify a judge granting the warrant.  This document is presented to a judge who considers it, and either grants or denies the warrant.Warrant affidavits are usually secret before a warrant is granted, although sometimes they may no longer be secret after the warrant is served.  The affidavit document is what you want to see to find out why they wanted a warrant in the first place.
This is a discussion of the warrant:   https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/08/15/a-closer-look-at-dojs-warrant-to-collect-website-records/?utm_term=.c81c3288aec1
This seems to be the warrant itself:   https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DH-Search-Warrant.pdf
It refers to an affidavit, "D2-1645".  When combined with "dreamhost, a top google-search result ('D2-1645 dreamhost") is:
https://www.eff.org/files/2017/08/14/2017.07.28_motion_for_dreamhost_to_show_cause.pdf

This statement says that the affidavit is sealed (meaning secret).
"At the center of the requests is disruptj20.org, a website that organized participants of political protests against the current United States administration. While we have no insight into the affidavit for the search warrant (those records are sealed), the DOJ has recently asked DreamHost to provide allinformation available to us about this website, its owner, and, more importantly, its visitors."
              Jim "Perry Mason" Bell       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnuJVWdQk9w