new idea for random number generation

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Fri Aug 4 08:25:45 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 01:54:06PM -0500, \0xDynamite wrote:
> Speaking of cryptography (harhar), I was contemplating an idea to
> generate random streams of random numbers using chaos theory (not the
> first), specifically the logistic equation [3.5x(1-x)], when I came
> across the argument (http://www.cs.utsa.edu/~wagner/laws/chaos.html)
> that such generators are "psuedo-random", but I don't think is true.

I would suggest to make a toy implementation say in pari/gp or sagemath
and then evaluate it.

There are quantitative estimates how "random" a sequence of bytes is.
Both as services and standalone applications.

IIRC they look for bias, like the rank of matrices over some field.

Per rough memories the number Pi failed the crypto randomness test.
According to some "there is order in chaos, especially fractals" ;)