Noam Chomsky ***** ***** *** ******* ***** - [ PFKR ] SciAmerican: Google Engineer Fired for Sexist Memo Isn't a Hero

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon Aug 21 08:12:49 PDT 2017

On 08/20/2017 03:48 PM, Razer wrote:

> On 08/20/2017 06:35 PM, ZeNazi wrote:
>>
>>> Because the only people who would really care are people with agendas,
>>> and that's the truth.
>> Yep, the only people who really care about facts, have an agenda, so
>> STFU about these particular facts, or face the wrath of Razer, the
>> intellectual fraud.
>

> Example: the only people who promulgate holocaust denial are those who
> have something to gain from denying it.

Data is neutral. And you can't have a meaningful discussion without it.
Re agendas, just about everyone has them. But the ones that we agree
with tend to be less obvious. To the extent that we agree, anyway.

So about racism, for example. Some argue that various measurables are
distributed differently in various races. Now of course, "race" is a
nebulous term. More accurately, one would say population groups.

Allegations about such differences have clearly been exploited horribly.
By slavers. By Nazis. By eugenicists in various cultures.

However, recognition of increased incidence of serious recessive
mutations among the Ashkenazim has been very helpful medically.
Likewise, the increased incidence of hypertension among
African-Americans. Indeed, it may well turn out that medical practice in
general ought to be optimized by gender and genetics.

Even solid data on differences in measurables that have been exploited
by racists could arguably play beneficial roles. For example, in the
design of educational curricula.

Anyway, advocating for ignoring some classes of data is dishonest, and
ultimately counterproductive. In my opinion, as a scientist.

> Rr
>
> Ps. I've never claimed to be an 'intellectual'. Ever.

Whatever that is ;)