From Barter to Blockchains - WTF is… Money?

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 14:44:51 PDT 2017

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 15:15:39 +0700
Jason McVetta <jason.mcvetta at gmail.com> quoted graeber:

> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between a mere obligation, a sense that
> one ought to behave in a certain way, or even that one owes something
> to someone, and a debt, properly speaking? The answer is simple:
> money. The difference between a debt and an obligation is that a debt
> can be precisely quantified. This requires money.

	I lend you a hammer. You owe me a hammer. No 'money' required
	to 'quantify' anything.

	As  expected, graeber is a babbling retard.

> Not only is it money that makes debt possible:

	...in the view of a  charlatan like graeber who doesn't
	seem to know the basic meanings of basic words in his own
	fucking language.

	http://www.dictionary.com/browse/debt?s=t

	"a liability or obligation to pay or render something: "

	SOMETHING - meaning, ANY SORT OF GOOD or THING, not just
	'money'.

> money and debt ap-
> pear on the scene at exactly the same time. Some of the very first
> writ- ten documents that have come down to us are Mesopotamian tablets
> recording credits and debits, rations issued by temples, money owed
> for rent of temple lands, the value of each precisely specified in
> grain and silver.

	grain and silver were indeed money. 'Debt' isn't money, no
	matter how many times a charlatan like graeber repeats it.

> Some of the earliest works of moral philosophy, in
> turn, are reflections on what it means to imagine morality as debt —
> that is, in terms of money.
>
> A history of debt, then, is thus necessarily a history of money

	no it isn't.

>— and
> the easiest way to understand the role that debt has played in human
> society is simply to follow the forms that money has taken, and the
> way money has been used, across the centuries — and the arguments
> that inevitably ensued about what all this means. Still, this is
> neces- sarily a very different history of money than we are used to.
> When economists speak of the origins of money, for example, debt is
> always something of an afterthought.

>First comes barter, then money;

	right.

> credit only develops later.

	wrong. 'credit' only requires that A lends something to B. It
	has nothing to do with money per se. But oh, wait...

> Even if one consults books on the history
> of money in, say, France, India, or China, what one generally gets is
> a history of coinage, with barely any discussion of credit
> arrangements at all. For almost a century, anthropologists like me
> have been pointing out
>

> that there is something very wrong with this picture. The standard
> economic-history version has little to do with anything we observe
> when we examine how economic life is actually conducted, in real
> communities and marketplaces, almost anywhere — where one is much
> more likely to discover everyone in debt to everyone else in a dozen
> different ways, and that most transactions take place without the use
> of currency.

> Why the discrepancy?
>
> Some of it is just the nature of the evidence: coins are preserved in
> the archeological record; credit arrangements usually are not. Still,
> the problem runs deeper. The existence of credit and debt has always
> been something of a scandal for economists,

	lolwut?

> since it's almost
> impossible to pretend that those lending and borrowing money are
> acting on purely "economic" motivations

	lolwut???

> (for instance, that a loan to
> a stranger is the same as a loan to one's cousin);

	??????????

> it seems
> important, therefore, to begin the story of money in an imaginary
> world from which credit and debt have been entirely erased. Before we
> can apply the tools of anthropol- ogy to reconstruct the real history
> of money, we need to understand what's wrong with the conventional
> account.
>
> Economists generally speak of three functions of money: medium
> of exchange, unit of account, and store of value. All economic text-
> books treat

	How does he know? The guy never read an article about
	economics, let alone a whole book.

> the first as primary. Here's a fairly typical extract from
> Economics, by Case, Fair, Gartner, and Heather (1996):
>
> Money is vital to the working of a market economy. Imagine
> what life would be like without it. The alternative to a mon-
> etary economy is barter, people exchanging goods and services
> for other goods and services directly instead of exchanging via
> the medium of money.
>
> How does a barter system work? Suppose you want crois-
> sants, eggs and orange juice for breakfast. Instead of going to
> the grocer's and buying these things with money, you would
> have to find someone who has these items and is willing to
> trade them. You would also have to have something the baker,
> the orange juice purveyor and the egg vendor want. Having
> pencils to trade will do you no good if the baker and the or-
> ange juice and egg sellers do not want pencils.
>
> A barter system requires a double coincidence of wants for
> trade to take place.

	right - so this is the first fact that graeber managed to QUOTE
	- the rest of the stuff he writes is just made up nonsense.

> That is, to effect a trade, I need not only
> have to find someone who has what I want, but that person
> must also want what I have. Where the range of traded goods
> is small, as it is in relatively unsophisticated economies, it is
>

> THE MYTH OF BARTER

> not difficult to find someone to trade with, and barter is often
> used. 1
>
> This latter point is questionable, but it's phrased in so vague a way
> that it would be hard to disprove.

	it's hard to disprove cause it is a basic fact.

> In a complex society with many goods, barter exchanges in-
> volve an intolerable amount of effort. Imagine trying to find
> people who offer for sale all the things you buy in a typical trip
> to the grocer's, and who are willing to accept goods that you
> have to offer in exchange for their goods.
>
> Some agreed-upon medium of exchange (or means of pay-
> ment) neatly eliminates the double coincidence of wants prob-
> lem. 2

	right, that's the ABC of exchange. And it doesn't prove at all
	that 'barter is a myth'. Only that DIRECT BARTER is impractical
	in some circunstances, so you use INDIRECT BARTER.

	And here's the shocking news. Indirect BARTER using 'money' is
	still BARTER.

> It's important to emphasize that this is not presented as something
> that actually happened, but as a purely imaginary exercise. "To see
> that society benefits from a medium of exchange" write Begg, Fischer
> and Dornbuch {Economics, 2005), "imagine a barter economy."

	Oh, if I tell you "imagine you have two apples" that means
	apples don't exist. They are 'imaginary'.

	OK, this is enough. I can't keep reading this piece of highly
	stupid propaganda. I've read enough anti economics bullshit
	from both left and right in the past. This isn't funny anymore.