Global Internet CounterTerrorism Forum: Govs, Corps, BigSocial Conspiring: Spy Privacy, CensorKill Speech and Crypto, Repeal Provider Exemption

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 17:33:54 PDT 2017

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40788180
http://www.businessinsider.com/home-secretary-amber-rudd-real-people-dont-need-end-to-end-encryption-terrorists-2017-8
https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/08/01/1924247/real-people-dont-need-end-to-end-encryption-in-their-messaging-apps-uk-home-secretary-says

UK home secretary Amber Rudd has called on messaging apps like
WhatsApp to ditch end-to-end encryption, arguing that it aids
terrorists. From a report: The major technology companies must step up
their fight against extremism or face new laws, the home secretary has
told the BBC. Amber Rudd said technology companies were not doing
enough to beat "the enemy" on the internet. Encryption tools used by
messaging apps had become a "problem," she added. Ms Rudd is meeting
with representatives from Google, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft and
others at a counter-terrorism forum in San Francisco. Tuesday's summit
is the first gathering of the Global Internet Forum to Counter
Terrorism, an organisation set up by the major companies in the wake
of recent terror attacks. In a joint statement, the companies taking
part said they were co-operating to "substantially disrupt terrorists'
ability to use the internet in furthering their causes, while also
respecting human rights." In an op-ed, she wrote Tuesday: Real people
often prefer ease of use and a multitude of features to perfect,
unbreakable security ... Who uses WhatsApp because it is end-to-end
encrypted, rather than because it is an incredibly user-friendly and
cheap way of staying in touch with friends and family? Companies are
constantly making trade-offs between security and 'usability,' and it
is here where our experts believe opportunities may lie.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/08/01/alter-internet-laws-hold-backpage-liable-sex-trafficking/528493001/
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/08/01/1959234/senators-propose-bill-targeting-websites-that-facilitate-sex-trafficking

A bipartisan group of lawmakers introduced legislation Tuesday that
aims to make it easier to sue and criminally prosecute operators of
online classified sites like Backpage.com that have been used to
advertise sex workers. The proposed bill would amend the
Communications Decency Act to eliminate a provision that shields
operators of websites from being liable for content posted by
third-party users. In addition to removing liability protections for
websites that facilitate "unlawful sex acts with sex trafficking
victims," lawmakers are seeking to amend the CDA to allow state
prosecutors -- not just federal law enforcement -- to take action
against individuals and businesses that use websites to violate
federal sex trafficking laws. "For too long, courts around the country
have ruled that Backpage can continue to facilitate illegal sex
trafficking online with no repercussions," said Sen. Rob Portman,
R-Ohio. "The Communications Decency Act is a well-intentioned law, but
it was never intended to help protect sex traffickers who prey on the
most innocent and vulnerable among us. This bipartisan, narrowly
crafted bill will help protect vulnerable women and young girls from
these horrific crimes."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/01/google-says-ai-better-than-humans-at-scrubbing-extremist-youtube-content
https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/08/01/2046215/google-says-ai-better-than-humans-at-scrubbing-extremist-youtube-content

Google has pledged to continue developing advanced programs using
machine learning to combat the rise of extremist content, after it
found that it was both faster and more accurate than humans in
scrubbing illicit content from YouTube. The company is using machine
learning along with human reviewers as part of a mutli-pronged
approach to tackle the spread of extremist and controversial videos
across YouTube, which also includes tougher standards for videos and
the recruitment of more experts to flag content in need of review. A
YouTube spokesperson said: "While these tools aren't perfect, and
aren't right for every setting, in many cases our systems have proven
more accurate than humans at flagging videos that need to be removed.
Our initial use of machine learning has more than doubled both the
number of videos we've removed for violent extremism, as well as the
rate at which we've taken this kind of content down. Over 75% of the
videos we've removed for violent extremism over the past month were
taken down before receiving a single human flag."

https://apple.slashdot.org/story/17/07/29/2338204/apple-pulls-anti-censorship-apps-from-chinas-app-store
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/business/amazon-china-internet-censors-apple.html
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-china-vpn-idUSKBN1AI0CM