history: Tatu Ylonen announced SSH to cypherpunks in 1995

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri Apr 28 14:49:05 PDT 2017

On 04/28/2017 09:22 AM, John Newman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 11:53:16AM -1100, Mirimir wrote:
>> | At 5:51pm on July 12, 1995, I sent an announcement about
>> | SSH (Secure Shell) to the cypherpunks at toad.com mailing list.
>>
>> https://www.ssh.com/ssh/port
>>
>> Funny, no?
>
> Its funny, I forgot that ssh didn't start as openssh - it was, what,
> semi-commercial? Or the openBSD people just didn't like the license?

Yes, he took the Red Hat path. But that wasn't my point. My point was
that people _announced stuff_ on the cypherpunks list. The first VPN
service, Anonymizer, was announced on cypherpunks. So were Freenet and
Tor, as I recall. And _cypherpunks_ remailers. But that's just how
things go, I guess.

> In any case I wonder if the commercial ssh people are still around...

Well, that's https://www.ssh.com/ :) I don't know how much business they
get, though. I mean, ssh isn't _that_ hard to configure. Maybe for
tunnels and stuff. Me, I'd just use OpenVPN.