JustSecurity: "Today we learned that those 2011 (Sec 702) safeguards did not work"

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri Apr 28 19:39:41 PDT 2017

On 04/28/2017 02:30 PM, Razer wrote:
> Author's "Wows" aside, there's no mention of the FBI's DIT unit's
> grabbing all US citizen's metadataz gleaned while rummaging for targeted
> 'suspects' and turning it over to the NSA, unless it's buried in the
> fine print somewhere (in a basement without lighting in another galaxy
> perhaps)
>

> Today’s ODNI and Section 702 News
> By Jennifer Granick
> Friday, April 28, 2017 at 7:16 PM
>
> Today, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI)
> announced that it would stop some of the surveillance it conducts on the
> telecommunications backbone under authority granted by section 702 of
> the FISA Amendments Act. That announcement came in the form of a press
> release, a statement, and was reported in a New York Times article by
> reporter Charlie Savage.
>
> Wow.

Whatever ;) It's all bullshit.

It's prudent to assume that the NSA intercepts all Internet traffic. And
that it stores as much as it can, for as long as it can, focusing on
what seems most important. That everything is retained for at least a
few days. And then it gets triaged, based on names, addresses, keywords,
and so on. But metadata and encrypted stuff, the NSA reportedly retains
indefinitely.

<SNIP>