Kafka on the GateKeepers

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Apr 1 01:20:03 PDT 2017

On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 02:22:07AM -0300, Juan wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 15:54:04 +1100
> Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

> > > Google translate shows multiple definitions all having legal
> > > implications:
> >
> > Of which word?
>
> 	gesetz
>
> 	Cecilia kindly provided the original text here
>
> 	http://www.cordula.ws/stories/kafkalawde.html
>
> 	looks like one common meaning/translation as rayzer said would
> 	be act/bill, but I don't think that's the one Kafka intended.
>
> 	The text made me think of somebody wanting to enter "law
> 	school" or wanting to become a lawyer but I doubt that's what
> 	he meant either.
>
> 	I suppose the meaning could be cryptic, surreal or...kafkaesque
> 	after all.

I hear a prescient observation of externalisation of authority,
so severely prevalent today.

The Tim May interview you posted is right on topic in this regard -
something like "plant your flag way out there, do NOT go and ask your
local politician for lawfulness/ permission etc, plant your flag" - with
Uber being an example cited.

(Aka better to ask forgiveness than permission.)

I hold that externalisation of authority by the majority of humans
today, is the root cause of most of the ills the world faces.

The internalisation of authority has been hijacked by the eternal
carrot, the competition for "the most golden cage" ("gotta keep up with
the Jones's"), where those who find a space of creativity and insight in
spite of our schooling system, are materially rewarded beyond reason and
elevated by the media, politicians etc, thereby perpetuating the cycle.

To internalise ones authority, without falling on that ever present
sword of ego, is the true challenge for individual humans it seems ...
sad state of affairs seems to universally result, despite the ultimate
higher purpose of these ever present tests for "man".

Aiming for something higher than self might be a razor's edge pathway
for some. Whether one beholds this as "pursuit of universalism", "God",
"The Creator" or some other thought 'of realities beyond self, beyond
present limited perceptions, beyond present reality' I don't think
matters so much, mainly the forgoing of ego.