DDoS Of Things -

rooty arpspoof at protonmail.com
Thu Sep 29 11:52:21 PDT 2016

-------- Original Message -------- On Sep 29, 2016, 11:06 AM, Razer wrote: On 09/29/2016 05:54 AM, John Newman wrote: > >> On Sep 28, 2016, at 9:14 PM, Razer wrote: >> >> >> >> On 09/28/2016 10:31 AM, Sean Lynch takes the words right out of my mouth: >> >>> The Internet is starting to feel a lot more like feudalism, >> >> >> What I stated a while back about my reasons for never getting involved >> in the computer industry as a way to earn my bucks... I don't get along >> with fewdal punkz and hypercompetitive-hyperagressives reel well. So >> what did they do? They FUCKED the whole 'Fucking thing’. > > You can do IT work for anbody… you don’t have to code/sysadmin/whatever > strictly for a company in the computer industry. This has been my shift > in the past few years. > > John > > I've done web design for friends and occasionally someone I don't know, but I never made a living from it. Sort of like I smoke weed and will occasionally sell a bit to a friend for spare cash but I wouldn't do it for a living. Because weed, as the rastamon says, is a sacrament, and information should be free. Which means it wouldn't be ethical by my standards to earn a living at it. I've always preferred manual labor anyway. Digging ditches. Audio/Broadcast engineering, Precision machining. Truck driving... Repairing things... Sometimes even computers. Rr >> >> Rr >> >> >>> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Steve Kinney >> > wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>> On 09/27/2016 11:21 PM, grarpamp wrote: >>>> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Mirimir >> > wrote: >>>>> Yes, it's for sure a hard problem. Any entity resourceful enough to >>>>> withstand Tbps DDoS is likely a huge privacy risk :( >>>>> >>>>> On the other hand, Krebs has been totally asking for it, for years ;) >>>>> He's been going after major cybercriminals, who perhaps have major >>>>> connections with global TLAs. And he's often been a jerk about it. >>>>> Hugely self-righteous, and humorless. So meh ;) >>>> >>>> He's already been swatted, manure mailed for lols, etc. >>>> Though being AP'd by the cybers is probably unlikely. >>> >>> Meanwhile the Big DDoS has apparently been mitigated by Akamai or >>> somebody. >>> >>> >>> It was mitigated by Google's Project Shield. The Internet is starting to >>> feel a lot more like feudalism, where you have to swear fealty to some >>> lord or get overrun by barbarian hordes. Or, I guess, the way all >>> governments want us to feel about the world. "Bad guys" like this are a >>> government's best friend. Or a megacorp's. >>> >>> >>> What bothers me is not this particular instance, but the proof of >>> concept it represents, in a world where everything from refrigerators to >>> night lights phones home. Things present a very diffuse and low-reward >>> attack surface individually, but as reflectors they provide a potential >>> solar-furnace-like effect in the hands of a sophisticated attacker. >>> >>> >>> But the fact that they blew their wad early on a low-value target like >>> Krebs means that the issue will get attention. Of course, if the cost to >>> any given end user or their ISP is small enough, perhaps it won't be enough. >>> >>> >>> "Physical access is game over" so it may turn out that whoever owns the >>> most Things wins after all. >>> >>> >>> Ownership of Things is not permanent, though. Maintaining a botnet is a >>> neverending
battle. >>> >

UFONet - easy sweetie