DDoS Of Things -

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Tue Sep 27 20:50:23 PDT 2016

On 09/27/2016 11:21 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
>> Yes, it's for sure a hard problem. Any entity resourceful enough to
>> withstand Tbps DDoS is likely a huge privacy risk :(
>>
>> On the other hand, Krebs has been totally asking for it, for years ;)
>> He's been going after major cybercriminals, who perhaps have major
>> connections with global TLAs. And he's often been a jerk about it.
>> Hugely self-righteous, and humorless. So meh ;)
>
> He's already been swatted, manure mailed for lols, etc.
> Though being AP'd by the cybers is probably unlikely.

Meanwhile the Big DDoS has apparently been mitigated by Akamai or
somebody.

What bothers me is not this particular instance, but the proof of
concept it represents, in a world where everything from refrigerators to
night lights phones home.  Things present a very diffuse and low-reward
attack surface individually, but as reflectors they provide a potential
solar-furnace-like effect in the hands of a sophisticated attacker.

"Physical access is game over" so it may turn out that whoever owns the
most Things wins after all.

:o/