[From xorcist offlist] Cloudflare & NoDAPL again w/ a ROTF

xorcist at sigaint.org xorcist at sigaint.org
Sun Sep 25 03:46:57 PDT 2016

> On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 08:51:18PM -0300, juan wrote:
>
> 1) Rational is not the metric for good, although good may often be
>    rational.

No argument from me. Just to be clear, that was my way of summarizing
juan's position. He has been the one advocating rationality as the key to
focus on.

> And in this particular example courtesy 'xorcist', we have a classic
> case of a proposition implying an absolute, but in fact is not true,
> yet tends to lead the reader into the fallacy. (Forgot the name of this
> particular 'logical reversal', but it's a fallacy nonetheless.)

I believe you may be referring to 'affirming the consequent'.
If X, then Y. Y, therefore X.

But if you really want to get deep like that, juan's entire line of
thinking falls to the "argument of fallacy" which is the idea that because
an ARGUMENT for something is fallacious, then the conclusion must be
fallacious.

>> > the most rational people can do the most good.
>> > They'll seek to do the most good.
>
> And here we see the logical fallacy flowing from the false
> generalisation / proposition.

Remember, I'm not asserting any of this, in fact.

You seem to be confused, and should re-read. I'm summarizing my take on
juan's position, and offering my counter.