Google is amazing

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Tue Sep 13 10:47:42 PDT 2016

Having used both Gmail and SpamAssassin for filtering mail to this address,
which I've had since 1996, I've found SpamAssassin to be vastly superior in
terms of false positives. Gmail doesn't seem to be that much better in
terms of false negatives even. Pretty disappointing.

I used to have a filter that prevented Gmail from marking cpunks mail as
spam, but I have intentionally avoided fixing that since the list address
changed in hopes of training it not to suck so bad. So far I don't seem to
have had much luck.

One thing I did notice is that by default when you block a sender on Gmail
it sends their messages to the spam folder instead of deleting them, which
could mean its training the spam filter on them as well. If a lot of people
do that, it could cause the spam filter to think other cpunks messages are
also spam instead of just, say, Cypher Piggie's.

The solution for me is going to be to stop using Gmail once I find the time
to set up my scandalous basement server. The easier solution is just to set
up a filter with "never mark as spam" as someone else suggested whom I
would credit by name were I not typing this on my phone in the bathroom.