Mail, please.

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Tue Sep 13 06:42:10 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 01:59:04PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 11:38:24PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Liam E. <liame at mail2tor.com> wrote:
> > > What is the most minimal setup for command-line mail on a system like Debian?
> >
> > On any BSD or Linux, neomutt with mbox [1] serves simple use[r]s.
> > You can go more minimal for lols but there's not much point to it.
> >
> > But if you want to move to more volume, a programmable backend,
> > and extra crypto, which you eventually will and should just do from
> > day one, you need
> > fetchmail,
>
> Please! As I said, use getmail or mpop! Fetchmail is barely maintained
> these days, besides being an order of magnitude slow (per email
> downloading, without any pipelining, unlike both getmail -and- mpop).

mutt (and neomutt presumably) supports imap natively pretty well,
at least on my freebsd box (mutt 1.6.0). It used to be fairly buggy
but it worked well the last time I used it for a couple weeks.

But then you are limiting yourself to filtering on the server side
with something like imapfilter, a program actually I like, but
maildrop is nice too...

So many good options!  :P

John