Re: Big Dataz Isn’t Just Watching You—It’s **Designed** To Make You Poorer

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Sep 10 11:05:59 PDT 2016

Good to monitor and correct but not necessarily bad overall.  Wall Street and others have always used questionable data at many
levels.  In a neighborhood that I lived in for a long time, it was very obvious that once-every-10-years census data was almost
completely controlling development.  The existing credit laws should force companies to expose what factors they used in making a
decision.  That should either expose or limit the use of new types of big data.

One thing we need more of is communities comparing themselves to others in comprehensive ways to realize that they have problems
that they should address.  The open data movement, open government data especially, is extremely helpful for this.  This is a really
good example:

http://data.cityofpaloalto.org/home

One good result of open data and democratized big data processing might be that we become more efficient in good ways.  For
instance, it would be good if we could become more effective at meritocratic commerce and innovation while drastically lowering the
amounts skimmed by the Wall Street-driven finance industry.  There are too many cases where Finance absorbs much if not all of the
profit generated by some companies and industries.  I don't mind them getting paid for their value, but often they take it all and
then some.  Leveraged buyouts and pension raiding are the prime examples of this, but there are others.

sdw

sdw