Continual Violation of List Charter

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Sep 3 16:49:36 PDT 2016

On 9/3/16 2:41 PM, juan wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 14:14:13 -0700
> "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/16 1:30 PM, juan wrote:

>>> 	incomplete, and you didn't even provide a 'source'
>>>
>>> 	plus, it's obvious that you haven't read the 1992 - ~1998
>>> 	archives of the list.
>> Archives?  We read it in real time.
>

> 	Who - the fuck - is we. My message was addressed to grarpamp. I
> 	bet he didn't read it in real time.

The not (ignorant and immature) crowd.  That's we.

>> If it isn't directly about the access to or effects of cryptography
>> and related security practices, it is off topic.
>
> 	Because an absurdist like you says so.

Your definition of absurd is absurd.

>> Early on, the list was largely about making sure that we had
>> unfettered access to encryption and reasoning about the consequences
>> of that.  This was important for ecommerce, the Internet in general,
>> the boundaries of the First Amendment, and as the baseline for the
>> rest of the world.  All kinds of power grabs were in play, directly
>> from the FBI and others.  A weak response might have left us in a
>> position difficult to unravel.  Most of that came out OK,
> 	Exactly what a US establishment puppet woud say.
>
> 	So let's see :
>
> 	1992 :
>
> 	"Computer technology is on the verge of providing the ability
> 	for individuals and groups to communicate and interact with
> 	each other in a totally anonymous manner. "
>
> 	I wonder if Tim May is embarrased at having mande such a
> 	blatantly wrong predicion.

He wasn't wrong.  Anonymous communication is fairly easy now.  But for most of us most of the time, there is no need.  That's the
real revolution, although off topic.  That we have options and methods is on topic.

> 	" Interactions over networks will be untraceable, via extensive
> 	re- routing of encrypted packets and tamper-proof boxes which
> 	implement cryptographic protocols with nearly perfect assurance
> 	against any tampering."
>
> 	Where are such networks operating?

Government networks work that way.  Others generally can use less intensive solutions to get a good enough result.  Do you think
that anyone savvy and not a target of anti-terrorism has trouble communicating securely?

We should keep examining theory, writing code, finding good solutions.  There are definitely interesting problems left.  My favorite
thought experiment:

Instead of weak centrally controlled communication systems that can be accessed, broken, leaked widely: A distributed system that is
secure from abuse, yet able to expose communication that some important subset vote to expose.  Instead of threatening violence,
threaten exposure within the rules of a self-regulating system.  That's on topic.

> 	What we do have is completely sabotaged hardware courtesy of
> 	Intel Inc, a criminal organization that May had something to
> 	do, I believe.5but there
> are always ongoing concerns and implications.

Worry about whatever you want to worry about.

> 	Oh...
>

>> Arguing whether the end of the world is coming or whose fault it is
>> or who is making political or military mistakes is all completely off
>> topic.
>
> 	Sure. It's especially important that the political 'mistakes' of
> 	the american nazis be completely 'ignored'.

Completely off topic.  And ignorant.  But especially off topic.

>> sdw

sdw