individual responsibility - was Re: Nationalism vs Globalism

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Sep 3 04:25:35 PDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 04:47:28AM -0600, Mirimir wrote:

> >> So maybe do something, instead of talking so much about it.
> >
> > Specific action has been underway for a few years, expecting about 2 to
> > go. Will report here when success of course.

> >> Are you fucking serious?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > "do not oppose the state publicly" is easy to read as "comply with the
> > state".
>
> What I mean is don't get caught opposing the state.

Well ok, that's a legitimate survival strategy, and in general probably
a wise approach.

I would say: don't publicly oppose the state, without a clear plan to
ultimately win you chosen battle, even if that might take a few years.

And note, by "you" I mean not only you as some random individual, but
"you" as a group of individuals who unite in a common cause.

Let's not let those dichotomies (e.g. "one man against the state will
never win") sidetrack us from possibly winnable approaches.

> Where you have an
> oppressed majority that acknowledges its oppression, nonviolent
> resistance is a viable option.

This is a very good point.

> India. US south. South Africa. But it's
> hard so see how that would work in Australia, for example.

Ah yes, the wealthy Western nations, content in their golden cages and
prancing around with many toys.

I definitely agree this is a bloody hard soil to till!

Still, fundamentals that hit the hip pocket, such as road tolls ("but
who's going to pay for the roads?" and so many other bogus echoes...)
and in particular exhorbitant (even for many poorer Westerners) annual
vehicle registration fees, may provide some common ground.

(Let's not sidetrack to insurance just yet ... hold those horses!)

> But hey, if going down as a martyr is your trip, go for it!

Sounds like an unwise strategy to me... no contention in recommending
against that one.

> > This is hard to read in an anarchist context as anything other than
> > directly counter to the foundation principles of anarchism.
>
> I don't care much about labels. There is no "anarchism".

Labels are not used for the purpose of boxing, but for the purpose of
sharing meaning. If we cannot share meanings, we cannot communicate.

Do you agree it's a useful term for efficiently sharing meaning re a
particular political "philosophy" or "way"?

Let's try again:

0)
You say avoiding being a martyr is a good thing. I agree.

1)
Anarchism is entirely appropriate word in this context, since
(political) anarchy is part of the premise of this list and presumably
the shared interest, in some capacity, of all those who join this list.

Do you agree?

2)
Your semi-implicit suggestion to "comply with the state, or you're just
a martyr", could be interpreted by someone (e.g. Juan to pick a totally
random example) as "statist propaganda".

Do you agree?

3)
Avoiding personal conflict is a valid and reasonable survival strategy.

I agree with this also - it seems we all agree on these things.

> > Do you say there's some flaw in this reasoning?
>
> Yeah, I did :)

Are you taking discussion of anarchy, and discussion of civil
disobedience (peaceful or otherwise) as an invalid discussion, an
invalid call to arms on this list, or otherwise worthy of countering in
short order if such discussion raises its ugly head?

You see, I can get that many have been harmed by the state.

Many have made legitimate personal efforts in the past - may be you
have.

And may be engaging too closely in such discussions may tempt you from a
comfortable semi-off the grid existence into action which your
conscience might compel you, but perhaps your emotions and body really
don't want to get involved in?

It's ok to be relatively conservative, compliant and below the radar,
complying with the state where it would otherwise be quite an
inconvenience or indeed a trip down martyr's lane!

Most comfortable golden-caged westerners would never consider such
jaunts - something to leave to crazy people.

However, perhaps we should caution ourselves when we leap into
conversational protective mode, when seriously, all we're having is a
little email chat :)

Watch this:

YEAH, we should all ditch all licenses, all registrations, give up on
medical doctors and rage against the machine!

Now, just for a moment, wear this hat.

Pretend you're 18, sex starved and really really pissed off with the
man. Your papa beat the crap out of you, some boys in senior high jammed
your face in the toilet when you were in middle school, one really
creepy janitor tried to get you into a closet once, and to top it all
off you really like a bit of weed.

Now some charismatic 29 year old (absolutely -ancient- in comparison)
comes along and makes the above call to arms.

How does this call to arms make you feel?

Now try this hat on, just for a moment: "I'm not a coward, but I am
comfortable, I've done my bit and I found some fellow souls I enjoy
hanging out with, and I don't want to get involved in any significant
confront with the state."

Finally, let whatever feelings arise go - say "that's just a
conversation, irrational, rational, whatever, just a few words in an
email."

Can we facilitate the anarchists, the boat rockers, the inspireds, the
whatever they damn well want to call themselves?

Can we help them along their journey of understanding and possible
action?

Can we say things like "you might find that's just martyrdom and won't
get anywhere, but good luck, and possibly consider A B C" rather than
"you idiot! you're obviously too stupid to fly below the radar!" ...

What kind of conversations are worthy of this list?