[WAR] ... and AP - now IP

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Fri Sep 2 13:35:57 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 1:35 PM, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 10:05:38 -0700
> Sean Lynch <seanl at literati.org> wrote:
>
> > I think patents may have made more sense when it was much harder for
> > individuals and small groups to get funding to develop an idea, and
> > the only people with the resources to develop them were the guilds and
> > state-sponsored corporations like the East India Company.
>
>         I think you need to re-think that. The guilds and especialy the
>         east india company are poster chilren for mercantilism, the very
>         system that libertarians wanted to abolish.
>
>         The east india company was the same kind of entity that
>         military contractors 'rebuilding' countries destroyed by the
>         anglo-americans are. And it was even worse than a purely
>         'commercial' gang that monopolized trade - the east india
>         company was nothing but the imperial british army invading
>         india and other countries of asia.

I agree with everything you say here.

> > Patents
> > were a way to protect the "little guy."
>

>         I don't think so.

I think you're reading this in a different way than I intended it. What I
meant was this is why patents got support and why they may have made things
incrementally better, not that there wasn't a better solution possible.
Getting rid of the guilds and government-sponsored corporations for example.

> > Now it's much easier to get
> > your hands on funding than it was then, whether it's a small business
> > loan, SBIR, venture or angel capital, or crowdfunding.
>
>         And that's probably not true either. Well obviously the
>         telecom side of things is better today than it was in 1700, but
>         the finance side of thing not necessarily so.

I think I'd need to read examples of small businesses getting financed in
1700. Knowing a number of people who have started small businesses now, it
seems obvious to me that the situation for financing is better now than it
was then. Which is not to say it doesn't still need a lot of improvement
before it's "good" in any absolute sense.