[WAR] ...

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Sep 1 16:52:32 PDT 2016

On 9/1/16 4:43 PM, juan wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 14:52:17 -0700
> "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>

>> Have you actually read the Manifesto in its several forms?  Do you
>> understand it?
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypto-anarchism
>> [2] http://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/crypto-anarchy.html
> 	And here's [3]
> 	http://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/manifesto.html
>
> 	"We cannot expect governments, corporations, or other large,
> 	faceless organizations to grant us privacy out of their
> 	beneficence"
>
> 	"We must defend our own privacy if we expect to have any. "
>
> 	Again, a typical anarchist position. Governments and businesses
> 	don't provide service X (they actually destroy X) so we need to
> 	provide X ourselves.

And a typical American position on every right we've ever won or defended.

>> Did you read my point about free-speech-anarchy a few weeks ago?
> 	Yes. I might even haver replied to it. It's nonsese.

I don't know what that is.  I'm sure there are plenty who are uncomfortable with encryption etc. who think it is nonsense too, but I
think I have a point.

>> Did
>> you understand it?
> 	Yes. It's the kind of nonsense that american jingos like to
> 	believe about the 'ex' SLAVE society they live in.

Ex-colony, ex-slave, ex-colonial, etc.  It's not all pretty, but it is experience.

>> What about the point I just made about adapting
>> and adopting solutions to emerging changes?
> 	...has nothing to do with anarchy per se. Totalitarian
> 	governments can also adapt to change.

Not as fast or as well.  Which totalitarian regimes are comfortable with the Internet, Facebook, startups, Bitcoin, etc.?

>> Cypherpunks has always straddled a number of areas; exploring the
>> implications of crypto-anarchism is one of them.  Even in May's
>> quotes in [1], it isn't necessarily the point to have a collapse of a
>> system as a goal, but to examine it as a possibility.  I think the
>> attitude is that if you come to believe that encryption and other
>> security measures must be available, perhaps as an extension of free
>> speech, and those cause weak or broken systems to collapse, then so
>> be it.
> 	Maybe that's your attitude. It doesn't have to be mine.
>

>> All kinds of things have been exposed recently. Do you think
>> that makes the US any close to collapse?
>
> 	No. The totalitarian state you love so much isn't close to
> 	collapse. That's why we are fucked. ('we' here doesn't include
> 	you)

Totalitarian?  What's your model of a liberal state?

Since it seems you desire anarchy so much, I'm curious whether you have you read Lord of the Flies?

>> Bad systems should change drastically or collapse, good systems
>> should adapt and flourish.  Do you disagree with that?
>
> 	I agree that morally good stuff is good...

Based on your writing, that's a surprise.

>> sdw

sdw