distractions

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Sep 1 01:06:32 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:07:59PM -0600, Mirimir wrote:
> On 08/31/2016 10:29 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> >> Dude, you mainly post boringly blatant propaganda. It's embarrassing.
> >
> > I'll accept some responsibility for that.
> >
> > My intention is always to raise "the public discourse", although my
> > ability and methods fall well short, sadly.
>
> Hey Zenaan, I apologize. I am pointedly apolitical,

No probs. re "being apolitical", I hate politics. We are unfortunately
stuck with the world as it currently is, so any attempt to improve
things starts from -now- (and not from some other place we would prefer
things to be).

> in the sense that
> it's a waste of time.

Well this I disagree with (you might have guessed :)

Promoting anarchism (if you can, even in a small way) is a political
action.

> I don't have much patience for debating anarchy. I
> just do whatever pleases me :)

Sure. If you don't want to debate anarchy that's fine, but perhaps,
to the extent possible, identify those who are hard core anarchists,
and perhaps try to at least avoid being oppositional to them (unless
they actually let a non-anarchistic position slip in of course) - you
see, "getting pissed off because the conversation got a bit flamey
for personal liking, and expressing that" might be considered by some
to be getting in the way :/

As said many times (and not only by me), I am quite guilty of letting my
emotions overtake my conversations.

Another thing to watch out for (perhaps, "do what you want", etc), is
getting vehement about truly, and bloody obviously so, statist positions
("cars suck rocks! DMV rules!" comes to mind for no particular reason).

> I'd like to see some substantive discussion of alternate anonymity
> systems. Maybe pointers to what's actually being implemented.

Well between grarpamp, the Johns, Juan and a bunch others, the
-existing- systems have been pretty well hashed out on this very list,
in the last 18 months.

Diversity is good. Pick a useful place to start, and get involved -
if you're not a programmer, perhaps start testing and reviewing in
various ways the ROTOR ALL CAPS GROUP releases, or I'm sure I2P will be
greatful for some love.

Seriously, there is NO shortage of possible -actions- which can move
privacy technologies in useful directions.

A personal favourite: meet in your area with "community wireless",
municipal wireless, and Neighbour to Neighbour wired, groups, and fuel
the debate.

And, more importantly, roll out your own ethernet network between you
and your immediate neighbours.

Perhaps learn how to set up one of the libre-software running routers in
a "mesh network" topology.

We, as a group, HAVE to do better.

There is ALWAYS room for inspiration, action, and new ideas.

   "
   If you don't own it, you don't control it.
   If you don't control it, it shall be used against you.
   "
   Anon.

So, get the fuck cracking already :)

The world of non technically literate humans, and the world of "privacy
technologies", desperately needs -you-.

As in you, Mirimir, personally :)

> >> Right, mostly by your bullshit. And Juan's scatological blather.
> >>
> >> Maybe someone ought to resurrect fcpunks ;)
> >>
> >> <crap snipped>
> >
> > Rather than blandly slathering my words in the email you replied to with
> > your "crap" opinion, why not try to raise the discourse to your
> > standard?
> >
> > You know, statements such as "that's blatantly not true" or "I disagree
> > with that, and say a) ... b) ... etc"
> > ?
>
> I don't have time for parsing one set of bullshit against another. It's
> all propaganda, from one player or another, and best ignored.

Yes, you're gettin the program :D

Everything --is-- propaganda, and another way to say it is:

   Everything, but everything, is political.

With you bro!

Man the fuck up, get past your inner turmoil and emotions around "he
said the naughty word to me, waah" and get cracking! The world,
seriously, needs you!

> > PLEASE, bring a "great" conversation! In my experience, that's one of
> > the most challenging undertakings as a human, and my personal difficulty
> > in achieving "useful/ relevant/ great..." conversations brings me to
> > tears. But I don't have time for emotional bullshit, so I can do is keep
> > trying to make a better start next time.
> >

> > Please, make a better start. In fact, any start. Or continuation. I
> > support your constructive and heartfelt intention to raise the dialogue.
>
> OK. I'm playing with OnionCat. I've found that LizardFS can be tweaked

"LizardFS: - I think someone may have mentioned this, but I don't recall
a single detail. Evidently I need to read up.

> to work reliably with OnionCat connections among nodes. I'm planning to
> test Freenet. Maybe even I2P. Wouldn't I2P overlay on Tor be a trip?

Absolutely! With you on anything that boosts I2P! We really, as in
really really, need some competition for Tor. Competition at this point
in time will be very healthy. And someone already started - it's called
I2P :) :)

> Test onion: http://7vgt5knzxa2axuky.onion:8000/
>
> Be patient, it can take quite a while to load.

:)

Any start is a great start.

This particular start you make, might be better served in a thread
that's a bit less .... hmmm, how shall i say this? ... "distracting"?

:)

Hack on bro, hack on!