DDoS Of Things -

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sun Sep 25 00:46:32 PDT 2016

On 09/25/2016 01:11 AM, Steve Kinney wrote:
> Maybe I'm going all Chicken Little here, maybe not.  But I think this
> development may be the closest thing to an Internet Armageddon we are
> likely to see in our lifetimes.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/09/why-the-silencing-of-krebsonsecu
> rity-opens-a-troubling-chapter-for-the-net/
>
> =or=
>
> https://tinyurl.com/znzno7q
>
> How does thee patch that which is Unpatchable? DDOS now includes the
> death of a million ankle biters: Not just unpatchable, but massively
> distributed, with a continuing profit motive and no liability for the
> manufacturers, paid for and plugged in by hundreds of millions of
> "regular folks" throughout the so-called Developed Nations.
>
> So far every mitigation strategy relevant to "normal" users and use
> cases that occurs to me would be worse than the original problem.

Yes, it's for sure a hard problem. Any entity resourceful enough to
withstand Tbps DDoS is likely a huge privacy risk :(

On the other hand, Krebs has been totally asking for it, for years ;)
He's been going after major cybercriminals, who perhaps have major
connections with global TLAs. And he's often been a jerk about it.
Hugely self-righteous, and humorless. So meh ;)