Legal vs lawful vs moral; legally sanctioned yet immoral

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Sep 15 01:12:23 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:20:31PM -0700, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> On 9/14/16 8:34 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> > Leaking paper is one thing, disassembling the quiet
> > handshakes and luncheons of conspiracy is another.
>
> Much of what corporations do is legal, whether you like it or not.

Legal, as in compliant with their statutory right to financially pillage
and legally bully their way around arbitrary "privilege" monopolies,
yes.

Lawful, as in compliant with the common man's sense of right and wrong
(the "common law" or "community law"),
no!

> Actual conspiracies are seldom needed

A fluffy and largely useless statement.

Actual conspiracies are every day occurrences, widespread to the point
of being universal.

   From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48
   [gcide]:
   Conspire \Con*spire"\, v. t.
      To plot; to plan; to combine for.
      [1913 Webster]
            Angry clouds conspire your overthrow.    --Bp. Hall.
      [1913 Webster]

> and usually not worth the
> risk.

People talk and plot in private, including corporate "leaders".

--Especially-- corporate leaders.

Talking and plotting -is- conspiring.

Example:
   To conspire with other self interested corporate executives, to
   combine bribery capacity (lobbying), to cause -unlawful- laws to be
   passed by parliament, which institute 10 years jail time punishments
   for sharing a file by bittorrent;

   Such punishment being thereafter deemed as "legal" punishment, even
   though such punishment is not, and would never be, lawful by the
   moral standards of the community (cruel and unusual punishment,
   punishment which does not fit the crime, punishment not comparable to
   punishment for other crimes e.g. rape, murder, tanking the economy
   ("white collar" crime)).

Stephen, you are brainwashed, and purveying your brainwashing upon
others.

The part of that which I personally, vehemently, object to, is that you
do so with an endless air of authority.

And with seemingly endless pro-statist views.

> Many abuses have come to light, usually with a pretty good downside
> for the corporation.  Harder to get away with really bad stuff than it
> used to be.

It's getting easier and easier for corporations to do bad stuff legally.
They lobby, they get their pet "laws" (unlawful though they are) passed,
and thereafter their crimes falling under those laws are "legal", even
though they remain as crimes, and remain immoral.

> >> Ioerror.
> >> Institutional assassination
> > Precisely. And it's disgusting.
>
> What are the worst things that corporate heads and politicians are
> getting away with?

Endless encroachment upon our individual sovereign rights with "laws",
making their immoral activities and enforcements against our individual
sovereign rights, legal.

> What's your proposed solution?  What's your proposed cypherpunkian
> solution?

Well, there are possibly the most useful things you've ever said on this
list. Good question. There, I said it. You asked a useful question.

In the current context, get your torrentz over Tor, I2P, possibly
FreeNet, and also sneakernet - network in human space, N2N / neighbour
to neighbour your neighbourhood.