Coalition Seeks Obama to Pardon Snowden

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Sep 14 23:20:31 PDT 2016

On 9/14/16 8:34 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> If that is ever found to be true, Americans would freak out.  Government
>> only has authority to the extent that they follow the rule of law.  It's
>> already the stuff of conspiracy theories.  Any solid proof of unchecked
>> ongoing abuse not explained away sufficiently, which would inevitably leak
>> eventually for anything happening consistently
> The rise and consumption of alternative media like Alex Jones, RT,
> Al Jazeera, etc is proof that things are not being sufficiently explained.
> With a Government and Corporation of secrets (engaging in things
> like say unchecked Gitmo abuse, ahem) there will always be much
> more to discover and cover. Deepweb indeed.

Somewhat important, but mostly details that don't change much.

>> would cause gigantic
>> backlash.
>>  The ultra-right gun lobby and the liberal sophisticates and
>> others would unite and squash anyone responsible.
> There was a firefight...
Which one?

>>  Now that we have
>> instances of clear video proof to actually get at the truth
> No we don't... there are no body cams on your politicians,
> your corporate exectuives, no feeds from their backrooms,
> no audio from their limos.

Politicians are watched pretty thoroughly.  There's some room, but most of what they accomplish is fairly public, sooner or later.
The worst abuses, in Western countries anyway, seem to be grossly misleading voters just before a vote.

One pattern seems to be: Stay vague and high level while building your team / tribe.  Then gradually pump up half truths and attacks
by spinning outrage.  Then, once your team / tribe has bought in and has a habit of repeating your talking points, graduate to full
on lies and obvious mistruths that the team/tribe will parrot even more loudly as they try to drown out the other team / tribe.  Use
confirmation bias, in-group / out-group membership, and every other trick to get others to further your attacks and cheerleading.
Spin any opposition statements or attempts at clarification as blatant attacks on your team / tribe.  With an apparent ownership
interest in the results, people will ignore all facts and please for reason to win and resolve their angst.

It is a tried and true pattern, never more honed, applied, and amplified in such a contest so starkly divorced from reality, logic,
and reason.  Very instructive.

> Leaking paper is one thing, disassembling the quiet
> handshakes and luncheons of conspiracy is another.

Much of what corporations do is legal, whether you like it or not.  Actual conspiracies are seldom needed and usually not worth the
risk.  Many abuses have come to light, usually with a pretty good downside for the corporation.  Harder to get away with really bad
stuff than it used to be.

>> Ioerror.
>> Institutional assassination
> Precisely. And it's disgusting.

What are the worst things that corporate heads and politicians are getting away with?
What's your proposed solution?  What's your proposed cypherpunkian solution?

sdw