UK: Censors, Tracks and Balkanizes Its Internet; 10yrs for Pirates

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Wed Sep 14 12:46:40 PDT 2016

One step closer to everyone ceasing to pretend the Internet is in any way
free or democratic. It was a nice fantasy while it lasted. Even where ISPs
are nominally private, you can't be a licensed user of the airwaves or have
fiber along government right-of-ways and expect not to have the government
impose its own interests on you. I wonder how long it'll be before they
outlaw any kind of overlay network they can't snoop on? I guess that's what
the attempts to outlaw useful crypto are all about. I bet we'll eventually
see warrants to decrypt legal, escrowed crypto envelopes entirely on
suspicion that the user is using a layer of unescrowed crypto inside. Which
will accomplish exactly what the content cartels want by forcing those who
care about privacy into low-bandwidth covert channels while doing nothing
to make it more difficult for genuine criminals to communicate privately.
Maybe it'll be harder to share kiddie porn. But at a huge cost to the
future of humanity, as we all know where this road is leading.

Maybe there's some hope for wireless services where the hardware is
licensed rather than the user. Or extremely line-of-sight stuff like FSO.