Google is amazing

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Wed Sep 14 12:34:18 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:47:42 +0000
> Sean Lynch <seanl at literati.org> wrote:
>

> > I used to have a filter that prevented Gmail from marking cpunks mail
> > as spam, but I have intentionally avoided fixing that since the list
> > address changed in hopes of training it not to suck so bad. So far I
> > don't seem to have had much luck.
>

>         So apparently the system ignores the fact that messages come
>         from a mailing list, and treats them as if they came directly
>         from the original sender's address. And then wrongly marks some
>         as spam. So it's doing it wrongly, twice.

I'm not sure how manually blocking based on mailing list headers makes any
sense. And there are plenty of mailing lists that get lots of spam. This
used to be how cpunks worked when it was distributed, as has been discussed
here recently. The end user was expected to run a spam filter against the
list, subscribe to a filtered mirror, or just put up with it.

>         Adding a rule to stop it filtering messages with trait
>         'comes-from-cypher-whatever' works, but it seems to be slightly
>         misaligned with the modern philosophy of "automatic system
>         built for retards, I mean, for Important People Too Busy To
>         Learn Anything".

Well, the "retards" probably aren't going to care much about a few mailing
list messages being sent to their spam folder erroneously. I can't say I've
actually cared about any of the messages that got sent to spam, I'm just
pedantic about such things. Today, though, the only "false positive" was
someone I would have blocked anyway. So is it really a false positive?