Permutations to scalars and back again.

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Mon Sep 12 03:01:19 PDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 07:50:50PM +1000, James A. Donald wrote:
> To restate the problem:  Find a mapping between integers and injective
> functions from N to X up to a permutation of N.
>
> In this case, find a mapping between integers and an injective functions
> from 18 to 36.

Sage (open source, sagemath.org) can do at least parts of what you
are asking.
Not sure I get the question about injective function, but AFAICT
treating the permutation as nonnegative integer in binary will do.

Example sage session:

sage: l=[0]*2+[1]*2
sage: pe=Permutations(l)
sage: pe.cardinality()