Podcast: Ethics and ‘The Zuckerberg Files'

Cecilia Tanaka cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 09:40:24 PDT 2016

Podcast: Ethics and ‘The Zuckerberg Files’

https://iapp.org/news/a/podcast-ethics-and-the-zuckerberg-files/

"In this episode of The Privacy Advisor Podcast, UC Berkeley's Anna Lauren
Hoffman discusses her work in data ethics as she explores the intersection
of data, technology, and culture.  Specifically, the ways the design and
use of technology can either help or hinder values like justice and
fairness.

She also was behind a project called "The Zuckerberg Files." Conceived over
drinks at a conference one night, she and her colleagues discussed the fact
that it's too bad, for all the insight Facebook has on its users, users
don't have the same look at Facebook.  So, they decided to grab some
research assistants and, well, Facebook Facebook.  They grabbed everything
Facebook CEO Zuckerberg had ever said publicly, including in interviews,
videos, posts on his own wall, etc.  The result is a stunning digital
archive, illustrating the narrative Zuckerberg repeats and repeats, and the
effect that may have on public consciousness."

sea sea
say it."