Quantum Computers

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Wed Sep 7 21:39:38 PDT 2016

On 09/07/2016 10:10 PM, John wrote:

> On September 7, 2016 3:31:45 AM EDT, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another example for this are visual and auditory illusions (probably
>>> they exploit other parts of the brain) ;)

>>> Wikipedia has an article about "Quantum Mind", basically claiming
>> that
>>> the mind heavily depends on quantum stuff. Pretty sure medical
>> students
>>> don't study this.
>>>
>>> Are the theories about quantum mind taken seriously?
>>
>> Well, biochemistry pretty much depends on quantum stuff ;)
>>
>> But quantum mind, not so much.
>>
>> Neal Stephenson's _Anathem_ does run with the concept, however.
>>

> Killer book.  I love the way it makes you re-examine normal cultural shit just by renaming it and shifting it a little.... And that's before it gets into the heavy many-worlds quantum stuff. ;)

Yes, he has much fun with popular culture. Rather as in _Snow Crash_.
And I kept thinking of Hesse's _The Glass Bead Game_.

> His latest isn't nearly as good IMO (Seveneves)

I liked his take on the Moon breakup. And his mega-engineering concepts
are amazing. But it got rushed toward the end. It could have made a
great trilogy. I wanted to hear more about the other survivors, and
about that mystical group. But yes, it's not up there with _Diamond Age_
and _Cyphernomicon_, or even _The Baroque Cycle_. I did also like
_Mongoliad_, however. But I'm a sucker for swords and sorcery ;)