Excellent article about Cypherpunks.

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 22:07:09 PDT 2016

http://passcode.csmonitor.com/cypherpunk

A small part of this article:"Soon, an even nastier suggestion appeared on the list: a public hit list for politicians, set up as a portal for contract killing. It also came from a former Intel engineer, Jim Bell. He was one of the most radical minds on the cypherpunks list (Bell and May met only once, in the early 1980s). In August 1992, Bell had read an article by David Chaum in Scientific American titled “Achieving Electronic Privacy.” Chaum, then the head of a cryptographic research group at Amsterdam University, painted a dark picture: making a phone call, using a credit card, subscribing to a magazine, paying taxes, all these bits and pieces of information could be collected and combined into “a single dossier on your life — not only your medical and financial history but also what you buy, where you travel and whom you communicate with.”[end of  small quote in much-larger article.]
Important note:  Contrary to the claim above, as far as I know I've never met Tim May.  We worked for Intel during some of the same times, but I was in Aloha Oregon, and I assume Tim May was in Santa Clara, California.    (Unless Tim May at some point came to Oregon, I probably didn't meet him.   I DID exhibit at the October 1983 West Coast Computer Faire,  in San Francisco, well over a year after I left Intel.)   Nor would Tim May have heard about me, while at Intel:  I was a lowly Product Engineer for one of the first two self-refreshing DRAMs, mine was the 2186 8K by 8 "pseudostatic RAM".
I had HEARD of Tim May:  By the time I started at Intel, July 1980, May was already famous for having discovered that alpha-particles (nuclei of Helium-4 atoms) were the cause of soft-errors in DRAMs (Dynamic Random Access Memories) of that era.
            Jim Bell