Cypherpunks Charter

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Sep 6 02:22:52 PDT 2016

Absolutely stunning insights!

Thank you so much John (and of course Eric Hughes).

On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 04:24:14PM -0400, John Young wrote:
> Also Eric Hughes: A Cypherpunk's Manifesto, 9 March 1993
>
> http://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/manifesto.html
>
> Understanding distinction between privacy and secrecy is essential,
> for it is secrecy that corrupts in all its forms and is totally hostile to
> privacy,

So true! Awesome that this is named so clearly!

> and true privacy totally hostile to secrecy.

I'll contemplate on this one, but that's an astounding thing to say!

Again, thank you!

> Privacy policies are fraudulent because they allow secretkeepers to
> violate privacy with "lawful" impunity.

Beautiful!

> Which is why Snowden, Tor, media, corporations,
> NGOs, security experts, dual hatters, lawyers, privileged parties of
> all stripes, and many others are masterful bullshitters to urge
> "curation," censorship, withholding, redacting information by
> which secretkeepers empower themselves against the public by
> "self-regulated" access, that is self-serving.

I heard an old saying "evil only thrives in secrecy" - would be good to
know who first got famous for saying that - they may have other things
worth digging into.

> It is ridiculous to believe technical crypto by itself will not be
> subverted for political purposes,

THANK you!!!

> that mathematics will provide sufficient protection against wily
> opponents lawfully empowered to use any methods required to exploit
> vulnerabilities in people, technology, governance (standards setting,
> education, contracts, advisory boards, prizes, leaks, bribery,
> coercion -- partially listed in the troll tools, but far from all).

:)

> From day one and continuing, cypherpunks warned of the unavoidable
> corruption of the list by malevolent subscribers, as well as of the
> Internet and digital technology in general. This malevolence has
> come to pass worldwide, through a range of treacheries from
> anonymization to crypto to HTTPS to OTR to leak sites to universities,
> to whatever tool is funded and promoted as the hot shit latest means
> to defy authority.

> Authority always wins.

Sadly this appears to continue. This is a fundamental!

Westerners are thoroughly schooled to externalise authority, so external
authorities, in this "consciousness" environment, are bound to win, to
always but always get the upper hand and to get it easily - those meek
and weak "personaly stability because I'm 'saving' 'the world'" sluts
like Roger Dingledine DON'T speak up, FAIL to name evils that are
perpetrated IN THEIR FACE and UNDER THEIR WATCH!!!

> As authority bullshits and honors and hires those too timid to exceed
> conventional cowardice.

Ab-so-f-iretr-ucking-lutely !! !!! !  !   !!!!!

> Few cypherpunks have gone to jail for their convictions,

And how!

> many more have gone on to pretty good paying jobs, start-ups, buy-outs
> by IBM, MS, Cisco, Google, others in cahoots with authority.

Soul sellouts all of them!

> But some have seduced others to go to jail, crying ACLU-EFF-Greenwald
> grade crocodile tears at the injustice (advertising "donate to us" for
> the poor suckers).

Indeed I was so suckered in at least one prior year..

> Blaming the victim of this seduction is rife as it
> is in deliberately faulty, highly monetized comsec.

Indeed. !

> If all goes well, cataclismic cyberwar will provide the doomsday
> climax to persistent cypherpunk screwing. Assange aims at just that
> having imbibed the cryptoanarchy joy juice here. Tim May will continue
> to ridicule the fool as he did Jim Bell and CJ. This is the cypherpunk
> secret charter for being a bullshitting "force for good."

"Oh, but I'm taking the money from The Man because unlike SOME, --I-- am
SAVING the WORLD!!!  Just as flowers and daisys save the world, the
unicorns rejuice!"

> >[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypto-anarchism>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypto-anarchism
> >[2] http://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/crypto-anarchy.html

John, with all my soul, thank you!