Suggestion to list admins for warning/disclaimer on the web for new subscribers

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sun Sep 4 16:43:51 PDT 2016

On 09/04/2016 04:51 PM, juan wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 10:33:11 -0700 Greg Newby <gbnewby at pglaf.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Zenaan, Georgi:
>>
>> Good suggestions, thanks!  I edited the list public HTML based
>> on what's below, and also the nice Pastebin article that was
>> posted here recently.

> "Sabotage, COINTELPRO and other forms of subversion or attack are
> often observed."

Hum.  Examples of sabotage would be interesting to see.  Would that
include posting links to live HTML-borne exploits against browsers or
MUAs to the list, links to sites offering trojan installers (i.e.
Sourceforge or worse), or jokes like advice to do "sudo rm -rf ./*"?
One normally thinks of sabotage as attacks against physical or digital
assets.

COINTELPRO was a Hoover-era FBI political warfare program, grounded in
the proposition that U.S. Civil Rights, Anti-War and radical political
activities in general were 5th column operations sponsored and
controlled by communist States.  Calling today's U.S. domestic
political warfare programs COINTELPRO is reminiscent of Conspiracy
Theorist wannabes who call notional present-day Illuminati sponsored
mind control operations MKULTRA (and spell it wrong).

> So you have a fair amount of clear examples of all that. Please
> link them?

+10

I seem to be missing the real fun.  Lemme see the sabotage and
COINTELPRO content.

Also, grammar nazi time:  "misdirection and control of a internet
forum." (vs. "an Internet forum")

Overall the disclaimer seems redundant to me, and sounds too much like
a script kiddie brag.  Posting it as a sign out front is something a
party interested in "dilution, misdirection and control" would do to
suggest that a forum is sponsored and populated by teenage poseurs.

An abbreviated form like this would be more than sufficient IMO:

"The Cypherpunks list is an unmoderated forum.  Prospective
subscribers should be aware that the tenor of conversation is often
contentious, offensive, and always politically incorrect.  New
subscribers are encouraged to observe the conversation before posting:
 Lurk before you leap."

:o)

Steve Kinney