Continual Violation of List Charter

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 14:19:13 PDT 2016

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 00:22:04 -0700
"Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> On 9/3/16 11:32 PM, juan wrote:
> >

> > 	Playing with the 92-98 archive...
> >

> > From: tcmay at got.net (Timothy C. May)
> > Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 10:48:20 PDT
> > To: cypherpunks at toad.com
> > Subject: Re: CYPHERPUNK considered harmful.
> >

> > 	"Similarly, there's the Libertarian Party, with similar
> > themes to our own..."
> >

> > 	"Getting back to your suggestion that "we" change the name
> > to something more respectable. How could "we" do this, given that
> > 	"we" are an effective anarchy?"
>
> The group was "an effective anarchy".  So is hanging out with your
> friends.  Corporations (and families for that matter) are,
> classically, dictatorships.  Does that make the political and
> economic system they operate in dictatorships too?

	Families and businesses are dictatorial beacause they operate
	in a dictatorial environment - child raising tends to be pretty
	dictatorial per se. What is your point.

	My point was to inform people that the 'themes' of the
	cypherpunk 'movement' are supposed to be libertarian themes
	(forgetting for a second that the US libertarian party is a
	joke)

> > 	"Form your own group, your own mailing list, with a catchy
> > 	name, something like "The Privacy Education Foundation," or
> > 	"The American Civil Liberties Union" (whoops, taken), or
> > "The Society for the Preservation of Cyberspatial Liberty."
> > "
> > 	"Evolution in action. The market in action. A better
> > approach than trying to get the name and the charter changed."
>
> A market in action...

	My point is that the CHARTER of the mailing list is supposed to
	be LIBERTARIAN.

> > ps: messages from the great philosopher Stephen D. Williams? 77 in
> > total, stopped posting in 1995 - messages are either content free or
> > nerdy, useless, technical stuff.
> >
> And firewalls:
> http://www.greatcircle.com/firewalls/archive/firewalls.199502
>
> We were talking about crypographic and security related topics, like
> firewalls and protocols, time stamping services (which I implemented
> a couple times for widely used services), etc.

	Cool. And you sabotaged them as well, as per orders from your
	government I assume. Why don't you tell us about that?

>  I even found time to
> correct Tim May, who cried uncle sort of. ;-)  I happened to have
> personal knowledge of that situation.
>
> I wasn't mature enough to philosophize much then.

	And you think you are know? Do you know the etymology of the
	word "philosophy", I suppose?

	Philo-sophy means love of knowdlege/wisdom. See, the requirement
	for philosophy is not 'maturity'(whatever you mean by that).
	The requirement for philosophy is the love of truth and
	intellectual honesty.