Continual Violation of List Charter

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Sep 4 00:22:04 PDT 2016

On 9/3/16 11:32 PM, juan wrote:

> 	Playing with the 92-98 archive...
>

> From: tcmay at got.net (Timothy C. May)
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 10:48:20 PDT
> To: cypherpunks at toad.com
> Subject: Re: CYPHERPUNK considered harmful.
>

> 	"Similarly, there's the Libertarian Party, with similar themes
> 	to our own..."
>

> 	"Getting back to your suggestion that "we" change the name to
> 	something more respectable. How could "we" do this, given that
> 	"we" are an effective anarchy?"

The group was "an effective anarchy".  So is hanging out with your friends.  Corporations (and families for that matter) are,
classically, dictatorships.  Does that make the political and economic system they operate in dictatorships too?

> 	"Form your own group, your own mailing list, with a catchy
> 	name, something like "The Privacy Education Foundation," or
> 	"The American Civil Liberties Union" (whoops, taken), or "The
> 	Society for the Preservation of Cyberspatial Liberty."
> "
> 	"Evolution in action. The market in action. A better approach
> 	than trying to get the name and the charter changed."

A market in action...

> ps: messages from the great philosopher Stephen D. Williams? 77 in
> total, stopped posting in 1995 - messages are either content free or
> nerdy, useless, technical stuff.

And firewalls:
http://www.greatcircle.com/firewalls/archive/firewalls.199502

We were talking about crypographic and security related topics, like firewalls and protocols, time stamping services (which I
implemented a couple times for widely used services), etc.  I even found time to correct Tim May, who cried uncle sort of. ;-)  I
happened to have personal knowledge of that situation.

I wasn't mature enough to philosophize much then.

I lurked later, being extremely busy implementing things and other pursuits.

sdw