Playing with overlay networks

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Sep 3 18:56:33 PDT 2016

So let's say that a bunch of us have Tor onion servers. They're linked
to each other via OnionCat with ip4ip6 tunnels. With IPv4 routing so
each can hit the others. And with iptables rules (IPv4 and IPv6) to drop
packets to/from everyone else running OnionCat. Maybe even
HiddenServiceAuthorizeClient/HidServAuth to lock down access.

What might we do with that? We might create an overlay Internet, I
suppose. Given how long OnionCat has been around, there are probably a
few of those. I doubt that OnionScan[0,1] would see the connections,
given that there are no hyperlinks, and better, no unauthorized access.

But more specifically, what? BitTorrent, for sure ;) LizardFS works, so
we could have private and shared cloud storage, backed by globally
redundant, erasure-coded storage.

What about VPN services? Say, with two VPS linked via OnionCat. You hit
VPN server as an onion service, and exit through one of many redundant
VPS. We already have <https://i2vpn.eu/>. So maybe chain that with VPNs
via onion services. What do y'all think?

And what about Freenet or I2P on an OnionCat network? Or one of the P2P
messaging apps? Or even old-school Mixmaster?

Back to basics, would any of that help against global adversaries? It's
very hard to evade observation of network edges. You can have lots of
chaff, but then that itself can be a signature.

[0] https://github.com/s-rah/onionscan
[1]
https://motherboard.vice.com/read/these-maps-show-what-the-dark-web-looks-like