philosophokiddies: Re: Continual Violation of List Charter

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Sep 3 17:48:50 PDT 2016

On 9/3/16 5:00 PM, Razer wrote:
> On 09/03/2016 11:41 AM, grarpamp wrote:
>
>> "The Cypherpunks mailing list is a mailing list for discussing
>> cryptography and its effect on society."
> That's why I'm here. I'm on the 'society' end of that dyad.
>
> Just in case it REALLY matters to Juan (hereafter known as 'the troll')
> to know what my interest in the list is, and further, for 'the troll's
> information one of the personal influences I named, Herbert Marcuse,
> whose work precedes cryptography as social influence, would have fucking
> well discussed it. Further, the Marxists of his time, the political
> inclination 'the troll' accuses me of adhering to, rejected Marcuse. It
> was an Anarchist... Abbie Hoffman, who is the only person of the times
> afaict who understood WTF Marcuse (and McLuhan) was talking about and
> put it into effect in his activism.

An interesting Townshend quote relative to Abbie:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/opinions/bergen-1970s-terrorism/index.html
> Townshend shouted "Fuck off! Fuck off my stage!"
> Townshend later said that while he actually agreed with Hoffman on Sinclair's imprisonment
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration>, he would have knocked him offstage regardless of the content of his message, given
> that Hoffman had violated the "sanctity of the stage," i.e., the right of the band to perform uninterrupted by distractions not
> relevant to the show.

I like that: "right of the band to perform uninterrupted by distractions not relevant to the show."

I was just looking at this history of anarchism, terrorism, etc.: Seems a lot like what some of the philosophokiddies are spewing
toward.  But it's all been done before.  The points have been made, some adjustments were incorporated.  After a good hard neo-con
swing, swinging the other way quite a bit.  But a lot has been absorbed and learned, so not quite so simplistic.  Anyway, mostly off
topic.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/opinions/bergen-1970s-terrorism/index.html
http://rfrancocsp.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-terrorists-of-1970s.html
http://www.sbs.com.au/programs/Seventies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground
> In Weatherman theory "oppressed peoples" are the creators of the wealth of empire, "and it is to them that it belongs." "The goal
> of revolutionary struggle must be the control and use of this wealth in the interest of the oppressed peoples of the world." "The
> goal is the destruction of US imperialism and the achievement of a classless world: world communism"

The philosophokiddie cyperpunks are thoroughly punked and parodied in Mr. Robot:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-creator-of-mr-robot-explains-its-hacktivist-and-cult-roots

> Rr
>

>> On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 4:38 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
>>> shit and get down to business on analysing political philosphies, to
>>> find practical approaches for our modern societies full of schooled
>> This list is *not* for that, and it's not a list to longtalk food recipes,
>> or anything else either. Lack of moderation is not license for people
>> to come here and setup their own offtopic shops, grossly, willfully
>> and continually disrespecting what it says on the tin and the history
>> of the list long before you [1], to the tune of many tens to hundreds
>> of messages per month, especially without tying it into that.
>> If you want to longtalk anything other than that to the point
>> that the charter would need a whole new section just for you,
>> GO FIND OR MAKE YOUR OWN FUCKING LIST FOR THAT.
>>
>> [1]
>> "The Cypherpunks mailing list is a mailing list for discussing
>> cryptography and its effect on society."
>> There are reasonable relateds within the realm of "cypherpunk" to include *its*
>> computing, tools, privacy, surveillance, law, news, literature / art / society,
>> hacking / making, organizations and projects, politics, tech, science,
>> solutions,
>> crime, etc, etc.
>>
>> The occaisional short lived foray under self regulation and restraint into
>> untied topics of possible interest to readerbase might be considered ok,
>> however NOT to the extent that it's been abused ongoing.
>>
>> If you're wondering why the "thousands" of people on the list
>> aren't "analysing political philosophies" with you, it's because
>> YOU'RE FUCKING OFFTOPIC, THEY DON'T WANT TO, and
>> they've BLOCKED YOUR ASS.
>>
>> But for new people hoping to find a real or even passable cypherpunk
>> list, and before even joining and blocking you, but just looking over
>> archives, your noise, and the angry abusive trolls, kills it for them.
>>
>> Have some respect for that.
>> The lot of you.
>> Or get off here.

sdw