Continual Violation of List Charter

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Sep 3 14:14:13 PDT 2016

On 9/3/16 1:30 PM, juan wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 14:41:52 -0400
> grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> [1]
>> "The Cypherpunks mailing list is a mailing list for discussing
>> cryptography and its effect on society."
> 	incomplete, and you didn't even provide a 'source'
>
> 	plus, it's obvious that you haven't read the 1992 - ~1998
> 	archives of the list.

Archives?  We read it in real time.

>> There are reasonable relateds within the realm of "cypherpunk" to
>> include *its* computing, tools, privacy, surveillance, law, news,
>> literature / art / society, hacking / making, organizations and
>> projects, politics, tech, science, solutions,
>> crime, etc, etc.
>>
>> The occaisional short lived foray under self regulation and restraint
>> into untied topics of possible interest to readerbase might be
>> considered ok, however NOT to the extent that it's been abused
>> ongoing.
>>
>> If you're wondering why the "thousands" of people on the list
>> aren't "analysing political philosophies" with you, it's because
>> YOU'RE FUCKING OFFTOPIC,

+1, or, in the new parlance, >>.

> 	lol - so political philosophy is off topic? Because you say so?

If it isn't directly about the access to or effects of cryptography and related security practices, it is off topic.

Early on, the list was largely about making sure that we had unfettered access to encryption and reasoning about the consequences of
that.  This was important for ecommerce, the Internet in general, the boundaries of the First Amendment, and as the baseline for the
rest of the world.  All kinds of power grabs were in play, directly from the FBI and others.  A weak response might have left us in
a position difficult to unravel.  Most of that came out OK, but there are always ongoing concerns and implications.

Arguing whether the end of the world is coming or whose fault it is or who is making political or military mistakes is all
completely off topic.

sdw