individual responsibility - was Re: Nationalism vs Globalism

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Sat Sep 3 04:39:26 PDT 2016

On 09/03/2016 06:47 AM, Mirimir wrote:
> On 09/03/2016 04:03 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

>> "do not oppose the state publicly" is easy to read as "comply
>> with the state".
>
> What I mean is don't get caught opposing the state. Where you have
> an oppressed majority that acknowledges its oppression, nonviolent
> resistance is a viable option. India. US south. South Africa. But
> it's hard so see how that would work in Australia, for example.
>
> But hey, if going down as a martyr is your trip, go for it!

That seems to equate nonviolent political warfare with martyrdom.
Along with "pacifism means passive-ism", that's a supporting script
for Rebel As You Are Told, a widespread, long running Statist
propaganda mission.  The message that "nonviolence equals helplessness
and can not work" is primarily intended to help prevent anti-war
movements, but is equally applicable to helping prevent successful
populist uprisings on any domestic front.  Per case histories,
successful revolutionary wars are won before the first (openly
acknowledged) shot is fired.  And even in "doomed" situations,
nonviolent political warfare methods can directly save lives, and keep
underground movements alive as well.

Some case histories:  Disregarded History by Gene Sharp, 14 pages.

http://www.fragmentsweb.org/fourtx/dishist.pdf

Everybody from the Albert Einstein Institute to U.S. Army counter
insurgency training programs agrees:  To succeed, a home-grown armed
insurgent force needs a much larger base of committed non-combatant
supporters to succeed.  Without this base the insurgent force must
rely on support from wealthy patrons or foreign States, which moves
the context from "liberation" to "regime change," with a big quid pro
quo due and payable on the success of efforts to displace existing
State institutions.

>> This is hard to read in an anarchist context as anything other
>> than directly counter to the foundation principles of anarchism.
>
> I don't care much about labels. There is no "anarchism".

Right on.  Fuck Anarchism - as a label or worse, an identity.  But
anarchism does provide a frame of reference for political analysis and
strategy with a unique emphasis on core issues of personal and social
power relationships:  A generalized and non-prescriptive toolkit, so
to speak.  I like that.

:o)