Open Public Notice re Tor Inc and Jacob Applebaum

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Sep 3 01:18:37 PDT 2016

((
was In-Reply-To: <CAEm6KbLQAL+NVVgRiB6uO_b6Dtff3YsCyh6RSkLbR2VywZFROw at mail.gmail.com>
))

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 11:12:36AM +0300, Александр wrote:
> “We must always take sides”,
> “Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.

This was and is a great insight for me - thank you Alex!

So there's no misunderstanding of what I'm referring to:

   "Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

Thank you Александр!

Prequel to the this notice:

Notice was given on the tor-talk email mailing list that those with
authority past and / or present at Tor Inc, have an opportunity to rise
to the occasion and denounce that which must be denounced and right
those wrongs which must be righted.

Despite publishing of "codes of conduct" and supporters of Tor Inc
declaring things such as "they're a company, they do not have to do or
say squat for the community" and "and besides, we're saving lives with
our technology you volunteers must continue to volunteer" (which amounts
to an attempt at emotional blackmail against those of good conscience -
links to specific emails demonstrating these types of communications can
be provided),
all those with authority at Tor Inc have completely failed in their duty
of care to our community, to right these wrongs (see below) and to
correct the record and to denounce all those who must, on the evidence,
be denounced (and fired from Tor Inc, and / or reinstated as employees
of Tor Inc).

Abundant opportunities of time have been publicly provided.

It is now time to state for the record the following:

* Open Public Notice, to the community and to Tor Inc

   "Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

To all those who value the principles of justice, righteousness, and
human rights including the right to private and anonymous communication.

And also and more specifically, to Tor Inc, its previous board of
directors, its current board of directors including Bruce Schneier,
Jacob Applebaum, all operators of Tor nodes, exit nodes, bridge nodes,
directory authorities and any other type of node, all those involved in
spearheading the lynching campaign against Jacob Applebaum, including
those who jumped on the lynch mob bandwagon, Shari Steele, those who
have lied and otherwise conducted and condoned the public "justice
campaign" against Jacob Applebaum which has been anything but justice
and has been nothing but an incitement to an actual lynch mob.

To those who have conducted themselves in evil actions (see link below),
may the consequences of your actions swiftly return to you.
- The ends (whatever "good" ends you thought you were trying to achieve)
  can never justify the public crucifixion by lynching of a man who may
  well be innocent, the creation of environment where his innocence may
  now be difficult to impossible to ever publicly determine, and the
  destruction of his public and private life, all for your supposed
  "good" ends.

- You have achieved and now established that Tor Inc is a known
  dangerous place to work and to be involved, since "if you do not tow
  the Tor Inc party line, there is every chance you shall suffer the
  same fate as Jacob Applebaum" and "never be exonerated, or even have
  this situation where you are publicly lynched and it is impossible to
  ever truly exonerate you if you are innocent".

- You have achieved the result many in our community now have grave
  concern regarding all future events organised or even merely endorsed
  by Tor Inc, since no one shall be free from the overriding oppressive
  fear that any innocent joke or statement, any innocent action, may
  well be deliberately taken out of context and used to publicly lynch
  the individual at issue, with no opportunity for proper or timely
  response by the individual at issue, and with the probability that
  those in authority at Tor Inc shall at best turn a blind eye and shall
  at worst use the events at issue against you.

There is NO "code of conduct" nor any other document which by itself can
undo that which now has inescapably arisen within our community, and
which despite numerous requests, both clear and heartfelt, both
emotional and rigorously rational, for those in authority at Tor Inc to
address, and have repeatedly failed to address, despite superficial and
cynical attempts by current Tor Inc employees to do so.

We in the community have genuine fear and concern:
- That Tor Inc is now completely and inescapably dominated by USA
  intelligence community employees including but not limited to the CIA,
  the US DoD, DIA, FBI and like agencies.

- That good men and women have been genuinely and inescapably damaged by
  the actions and tacit approval of those currently in authority at Tor
  Inc.

- That we can never shed our doubt that all those now employed by Tor
  Inc are utterly and inescapably compromised by some combination of the
  following:
  - by money
  - by the USA intelligence and other agencies of the USA government
  - by their own agendas which agendas are not acceptable to us
  - by agendas which are hidden from us
  - prima facie by their tacit consent by non repudiation of those
    events, words and individuals which in our minds and in our hearts
    are evil and otherwise against our principles, against our interests
    and against our consent

- That those currently in authority and / or employed at Tor Inc are now
  not possible to be trusted by us, and must institute a public,
  publicly trustable, and publicly controlled process to replace all
  current employees of Tor Inc, in the fashion of the Debian project of
  Software In The Public Interest, and which process includes many and
  varies voices throughout the community and far and wide from the
  shores of the USA, to attempt to reinstate community trust in Tor Inc.

- That without such a public process to replace those now employed by
  Tor Inc, that Tor Inc shall continue to demonstrate its fundamental
  compromise and undermine of the very community it claims to support.

In order to establish any level of public trust in the future elected
employees of Tor Inc, the process of election of employees of Tor Inc
must be a "publicly acceptable" election.

This means it must include as constituents, that is those who may vote
in that election, all members of organisations including but not limited
to :
 - The Free Software Foundation
 - The Free Software Foundation India
 - Software In The Public Interest
 - All current Debian Developers
 - and many and varied other individuals who demonstrate by their
   affiliations, their support for improving this world
 - All those eligible to vote, are eligible to be nominated for
   election as an employee of Tor Inc.
 - All those eligible to vote, are eligible to nominate one person
   for election.

The vote must be public, with the votes cast and who cast each vote,
being public and not anonymous.

Voting is optional.

With a public record of the vote, the vote is auditable and verifiable
by anyone who chooses to do so.

We, the broader community:
- Denounce those evils tacitly consented to (or 'ignored') by employees
  of Tor Inc, past and / or present.

- We denounce the complete failure of "justice" for Jacob Applebaum due
  to the conduct and the tacit approval of the Tor Inc employees.

- We insist on replacement of all current employees of Tor Inc. in order
  to attempt to establish a basis for trust in the activities of Tor
  Inc. and the technologies it produces.

- We insist on a public remedy to the egregious problems we continue to
  witness at Tor Inc, by instituting the above public vote for all
  employees of Tor Inc.

The conduct of those with authority at Tor Inc, against Jacob Applebaum,
allegedly in pursuit of justice for alleged victims of Jacob Applebaum,
was a public lynching - the so called "justice" of the lynch mob.

This "justice" meted out to Jacob Applebaum, by the authority of and
under the aegis of the current Tor Inc employees, an allegedly not for
profit corporation in the United States of America, has been nothing but
a public lynching and as such:
 - is an absolute abomination
 - is an injustice to the accused
 - is an injustice to any potential or actual victims of the accused
 - has destroyed the credibility of all current employees of Tor Inc
 - is unethical
 - is immoral
 - is quite possibly illegal
 - is absolutely unacceptable to the community
 - demonstrates that Tor Inc, and all those who have been and currently
   are employed at Tor Inc, are compromised, to a greater or lesser
   degree; failure to denounce and stop and rectify an evil, is an evil
   of itself

This public lynching has resulted in not only a complete failure for any
justice being achieved, but is a source of numerous real, identifiable
and egregious failures in the conduct of those with authority at Tor Inc
in respect of any and all who have ever been involved with the Tor
"privacy and anonymity" software and events related to Tor Inc and
anyone associated with or involved with Tor Inc employees, including any
and all women or men who have or who may have ever been subject to
illegal or inappropriate actions by any individual associated with Tor
Inc, including employees of Tor Inc.

For those who are yet to discover the public facts available in regards
to this public lynching of a probably innocent man, Jacob Applebaum, and
wish to do so, can do so here:
https://github.com/Enegnei/JacobAppelbaumLeavesTor/blob/master/JacobAppelbaumLeavesTor.md

We note also that even Jacob Applebaum, despite his fight against
infiltration of Tor Inc by CIA employees, has admitted that those
employed ("we" he cearly included himself) at Tor Inc are compromised by
and due to the source of the funding of Tor Inc.

We note further that this is a genuine problem

We note further that this problem is a remediable problem, by causing
those paid positions at Tor Inc to be subject to a broad and public
vote.

The current public attitude of the current Tor Inc employees is quite
adversarial to the community principles we hold dear, such as
transparency and accountability.

For example when pressed on a significant fundamental such as the lack
of transparency and impartiality around the alleged "internal
investigation" of Jacob Applebaum, Tor Inc employees and apologists say
"prove it", which clearly implies "trust us, we know what's best, we do
what's best, we don't care what you think about that".
(Email references from the tor-talk mailing list can be discovered.)

This public attitude by current Tor Inc employees continues to not only
erode, but further reinforce the community's grave concerns about the
infiltration of Tor Inc by individuals who are:
 - opposed to transparency
 - opposed to facilitating a constructive community dialogue
 - opposed to the interests of the community
 - opposed to justice and righteousness

This demonstrates continued intention by the current Tor Inc employees
to :
 - claim and pretend that everything at Tor Inc is alright

 - act as though all problems were fixed when the entire Tor Inc board
   was rapidly replaced with no public process or involvement in
   selection of the new employees

 - continue to fail to denounce the public lynching campaign of Jacob
   Applebaum, an employee of Tor Inc who was caused to end his
   employement at Tor Inc as a consequence of all these problems at Tor
   Inc.

 - continue to tacitly endorse / tacitly consented to, this public
   lynching

You who sit behind the scenes at Tor Inc, including but not limited to
Roger Dingledine, have acquiesced on your duty of care to our community,
to our fellow freedom fighters, to all those oppressed and otherwise
victimised in matters of interpersonal and sexual relationships (not
only women), failed to uphold righteous and the principles we hold dear
in particular processes which constitute justice, and failed to conduct
your process of inquiry and 'internal procedure / "law"' against Jacob
Applebaum.

Signed: Zenaan Harkness
(let's not flood the mailing list with endorsements - if someone
considers it relevant, create an endorsements website)